Recycled Laundry Detergent Boxes for Storage

Sturdy laundry detergent boxes are easy to 'rehab' and use for your organizational needs. I keep all of my scrapbook magazines in the one I made, but you could put just about anything in there. It's super-simple to do:

1. Cut off top/lid of laundry box (including handle).

2. Use fabric, paper, embellishments, ribbon, etc. to decorate your box. I used a commercial grade glue gun (very hot!) and the box held up just fine.

By April from Albany, GA

Top Comment

I don't decorate mine (Yours looks so nice), but I set a plastic bag inside to hold used dryer sheets and lint.

Top Comment

This is such a cute idea, and you did such a beautiful job with this one! I like the idea of leaving the handle on for some things, but I think yours looks perfect for its purpose.

When my daughter was in high school she made a note keeper out of one of the smaller boxes. She decorated the outside of the box, and it was just perfect, and so personal. Thanks for sharing this idea!

Top Comment

Oh, and forgot to mention that I love the plastic bag in one for laundry room garbage! You could even use one without the garbage bag and then just throw the whole thing away, replacing it with the next empty box. The reason I suggest this is because chances are, everything you place in the box from the laundry room is biodegradable. When you place the plastic bag inside, it negates that, as they take close to 100 years to breakdown, and even then, they have some chemicals in them that aren't good for our earth and water.

I love this idea but I have heard that boxes of any kind should not be kept in your home because it could have bugs in it from being stored at stores and the trucks that bring it to the store. The bugs get the the smallest places then crawl into your house. What does everyone think about this? I put everything in plastic containers I get on sale. You need to be careful thou, I bought some at the dollar store and was in a hurry and didn't try the lids and when I got ready to use them the lids didn't fit right.

If there were bugs in the detergent box, I would think that they would have plenty of time to get out before you use up the detergent.

April, your magazine holder is beautiful. Great idea.

I think I would leave the handle on to make it easier to carry.

July 17, 2009 Flag

Laundry Soap Boxes for Magazine Storage

A frugal way to organize magazines and small catalogs is to cut down a detergent box. They are just the right size for this job. Draw a line on the front of the box that is about 4 inches from the top. draw lines on each side of the box from the top of the box on the back side to the line you have drawn on the front. Now cut along those lines. If you want them to be a little more attractive, either spray paint them or cover with contact paper. If you prefer, you could make the cuts from side to side on the box instead of front to back as in the picture. If you use a liquid detergent and need boxes, check the local laundromat. These also make nice inexpensive gifts.

For more about this go to:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/organizing/tf318796_org.html

By Harlean from Arkansas

A box of laundry detergent
Reusing Laundry Detergent Boxes
Make Your Own MiscellaneousJuly 17, 2009
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Dry laundry detergent stored in glass canisters.
Storing Dry Laundry Detergent
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops
Cigars in a Box
Uses for Cigar Boxes
🎉
🎄