Letters Wearing Off My Brand New Dell Keyboard

Does anyone have a suggestion for replacing the letters on the keyboard? The most used ones which in my case are a, s, d, e, r, and t are almost completely gone.

By glo from Rockford, IL

Don't buy Dell again!!! I love it when you buy a product and they deny any responsibility!!! Stay with known, quality manufacturers.

http://www.thek  cCFcm8KgodXQwcWg

or, for about $9 more, I'd get a back-lighted keyboard http://www.back  Sale.htmleyboard [something I occasionally wish I had :) }

If your keyboard is part of a desktop you can do one of two things: replace it or replace the worn keys. Keys on a keyboard come off fairly easy with the exception of the space bar. If you can find a similar keyboard at a yard sale or maybe check with a place that repairs computers to see if they have similar keys than it can be a cheap fix.

Another option is to buy a small tip permanent marker and write the letter back on the keys. You could paint them as well. But to keep them from wearing off again you should treat the keys with a spray on clear coat. To do this you will need to remove the keys. Take a small screw driver and pry the key from the side. Take note of where each key goes so you can get them back in place without incident. Once you have the keys off write or paint the letters on them. Set them in a circular pattern on a piece of cardboard and spray them from one side to the other with the clear coat paint. Let them dry and push them back on the keyboard.

If you do not feel comfortable with the clear coat paint or pulling the keys there is another way. Write or paint the letters on the keys while they are on the keyboard. Give them time to dry and then brush over them with clear nail polish. It may smear or it may make the letters blurry. But you should still be able to make them out for typing. This said you may consider treating the top of the other keys so they wear down slower.

Good luck.

I had the same issue! DELL sucks!

If you've had the computer less than one year, call Dell. Tell them what the problem is and have them give you a new one. Even if it is not under warranty call the company.

You can buy replacement alphanumeric stickers for your keyboard, but consider the cost and shipping. It might be your better option to buy a new keyboard.

I owned a Smith Corona typewriter, and other computer keyboard brands and they all started to wear off on keys mostly used, so I don't think it has to do with Dell only.

Here's the link where you can order:

http://www.thek  let/Detail?no=36

If the letters are slightly indented, just paint over the indentations with white correction fluid. Sure, it will wear off. But, it is a quick, easy, and cheap fix. When it wears off, just give them another coat.

Anonymous

Use white nail polish (like the type used for French Manicures) and a fine tip artists toothbrush to repaint the lettering. It wouldn't hurt to brush a little clear coat over it once lettering has dried for some extra protection. ;-)

What about some small peel and stick letters? Then when they wear down, you can peel them off and put on new ones or just put new ones on top of the old stickers. I wouldn't try paint.

Well, this problem is NOT just a Dell problem! I bought my first PC in 2/2004. It was an eMachine! The keyboard was tan & I never had a problem with the keys wearing off! I bought a Microsoft keyboard approximately 2.5 yrs ago. The letters started wearing off, so, I later bought a Logitech.....same problem.

Last year I bought an HP desktop & the keyboard started to wear off. I did get hold of them & they sent me a new one......it started wearing off, too! Then In Dec. 2010, I bought an HP laptop & it did the same thing! I was told to send it in & HP replaced the keyboard last week!

Now I am wondering how long before this one starts wearing off! So, it's not just a Dell problem! They are making everything cheaper, now, & we are made to pay for it! That being said, HP has great customer service! when I got my laptop back last week, I called & told them nothing was done about the battery that lost it's charge in 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I am to receive a new one later today!

That's what happens when these profit seeking companies use cheap parts from CHINA !

I agree with you 199%, the market in North America is being proliferated by Chinese cheap products.

I had the Compaq eons ago (in the 80's) and the keyboard's letters were really good, I believed it's made in the USA.

Blame these companies farming their products out of the USA, I remember when I was young that everything made in the USA were good, we call them "Taté" the first two letters are pronounced like the first two letters of Tattoo and the last two letters as the first two letters of Tenement...

Anonymous

paint keyboard with clear varnish