Keeping Your Keyboard Clean

Category Computer
To have your keyboard working properly, you need to keep it clean. This page is about keeping your keyboard clean.

I am not submitting an original tip. I am commenting on a tip that was given about 4-6 weeks ago. That tip had to do with cleaning a computer keyboard. It also suggested putting a knee-high stocking over the keyboard to keep it clean. My original keyboard was a light color and 5 - 6 years old. It was beyond cleaning.

I recently bought a new black keyboard and a package of knee-highs. Once the keyboard was connected (I am disabled and needed help to do that.) the stocking went on. I safety pinned the end so it wouldn't come off. It helps keep the cord out of the way and definitely is keeping things out of the keyboard. I have told and/or showed it to several people. They all were amazed and thought it was a terrific idea. If anything gets on the keyboard, it is easily brushed right off.

If you have a computer keyboard, you need to do this. It feels a little funny when you first start to type with it but you will get used to it. Thank you to the reader that submitted the original tip.

Source: Thrifty Fun reader

By Linda from Bloomington, IL from Bloomington, IL

I used to purchase the more expensive shower curtain liners thinking that they were more durable and would last longer than the ones that I buy at the Dollar Tree store for just $1.00. Once they were past their prime, I usually cut the magnets off the bottom and then use them to post notes on my refrigerator.

This time instead of throwing out the liner I made a dust cover for my keyboard for when it's time to shut down the computer for the night. I measured the length and width of the keyboard and added 3 inches all the way around. I cut out a double piece of plastic, and sewed a zigzag stitch to hold the two pieces together. Turn over 1/4 inch and sew a seam around the circumference. Then sew 1/4 inch elastic around, pulling the elastic taunt while stitching.

By Marjorie from Lewiston, NY

Having JUST replaced our keyboard (thanks to a kitten and milk disaster), I put a sheet of the self-sealing saran wrap over the keyboard. It stretches enough to allow the keys to be pressed, and does a marvelous job at keeping the crud out of the keyboard!

By Eileen M. from Elk Grove, CA

I wrapped my new keyboard with cling wrap, (like Glad wrap). I thought it might be awkward, but I don't even notice that it is there. Occasionally I put a new wrap around my keyboard, as I use it a lot and it can get worn out.

My tip helps to keep your keyboard for your computer last a lot longer and cleaner. Last time I cleaned mine out, I was totally grossed out at how dirty and sloppy it was under the keys. Not any more!

I took a knee high stocking and stretched it over the keyboard. It does fit, they stretch a lot. It keeps all the crumbs, dust and moisture out and it helps with sliding fingers also. It is great with kids, because they always are eating by the computer. It works wonderful, try it!

By Sherri from Hemet, CA

Answers:

Use a Stocking as a Keyboard Cover

Brilliant yet simple idea! (03/31/2010)

By Jacquelyn Valentine

Home and Garden Cleaning ComputerDecember 31, 2012
🐛
😎
🌻
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Your-Keyboard-Clean.html