Knitting a Sweater Without a Knitting Board

I have finally found a pattern (online) for a very simple knitted boat-neck pullover sweater. The problem is that it is done on a knitting board, and I have never used one. I would prefer using the regular two needle method. I'm sure this can be done, but I don't know how. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

I too want to know "what is a knitting board". I`ve gone on this site and others to find out but so many responses are answering questions with questions. Finally I found it on Google. Try asking Google and youll get the information. Good luck with your sweater.

If I get you right, you want to knit a sweater making a front and a back, and sewing the two together at the end.

Just cast on half the required total stitches using a flexible cast on, and if you want ribbing do that as many rows as you want, eg knit 2, purl 2, or k1, p1 ribbing, turn and always knit above knits, purl above purls on the row you are looking at. [It would have been the opposite on the previous rows.] then knit required number of rows in stockinette, which is knit one row, purl one row, knit one row, purl one row, until piece is size you want it to be. I assume you are told to bind off when piece is size you want. There are lots of great directions on web with pictures for all of these steps.

For back, do a duplicate.

By then, you will have gotten the idea and do what pattern directs for sleeves, they may or may not be decreased or increased for shaping, but since this is a simple sweater, probably are a simple rectangle.

Good luck. It's fun, isn't it.

Crafts KnittingMarch 18, 2009
Over the Door Ironing Board
Using an Over the Door Ironing Board
Adjustable Sock Loom
Using a Knitting Board Adjustable Sock Loom
machine knitting a hat
Buying and Using a Knitting Machine
Bulletin Board
Making a Bulletin Board