Choosing an Additional Dog for the Family

I am looking to adopt another dog to join our family. We have a spayed female and an unneutered male. Has anyone had any experiences with a neutered male and an unneutered male? Once they figure out their pecking order, are they okay to be around? I was leaning towards another female (who would get spayed) because I am unsure about the male's behavior against each other in a situation like this. Thanks!

By Jen from Shellsburg, IA

I've had a neutered male dog for years and haven't had any problems. However, when it comes to animals nothing is ever 100%. You've been leaning towards another female so I'd stick with your gut!

That unneutered male will be alpha dog over any other dog that comes into your home. Can this dog be neutered, too?

Have your male dog neutered, please. It's best for everyone, your dog will be healthier. Un-neutered male dogs can get testicular cancer, I have an uncle who lost two labs to that cancer, but he always refused to have his dogs neutered believing it would turn them into lazy fat dogs, which is not true. I have a neutered male Chow/Lab, 9 years old, full of spunk and energy. Also, no chance of unwanted puppies in the neighborhood.

I wouldn't advise adding a third dog. Why risk turning your life into chaos and/or tension? I'm speaking from experience. I had three dogs and it was way more work than two. It's harder to walk three (i can walk the two together, but struggled doing all 3.) You increase your vet bill, flea and heartworm monthly expenses. And if your home is peaceful with the two you have, I'd leave well enough alone. I appreciate your desire, but you can't imagine how much it's worth to have peace in your home until you lose it because of tension between pets. It's awful! I'm back down to 2 dogs right now and it's perfect ( the alpha dog was 12 yrs old and had to be put down due to poor health towards the end.) And, I agree with the other people's advice. You should definitely get that male neutered! By the way, the alpha was a neutered male and had the most problems with my other neutered male. The fights were so upsetting.

It is wonderful that you want to adopt another dog. There are so many homeless dogs that shelters are forced to euthanize every day. Before you get another dog PLEASE get your male nuetered, it is better for him physically and emotionaly too. I think it was the dog whisperer that said it is very hard on an intact male to have the hormonal urges and no outlet. I have 6 dogs , 4 males and 2 females (all fixed). It is more about the temperment of the individual dogs not the gender. There are programs that will assist with the cost of nuetering if that is a concern.

Pets Dogs AdoptingJuly 2, 2010
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Renewing Vows in a Wedding Dress
Choosing a Dress to Renew Your Vows
Choosing a Stroller
Tips on Choosing a Stroller
Choosing Baby Names
Choosing a Baby Name
🎄
🍂