Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box

Gnats seem to thrive in our homes in a wide variety of situations. This is a guide about getting rid of gnats in a litter box.

Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 30, 2004 Flag

Please help! Our kitten eats Iams food for kittens and it seems that there are little gnats coming out of his litter box. Does anyone know what causes this? - Ana

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For some reason all of a sudden gnats have been spotted n my bathroom around my plants. I don't know where they could have come from. It can't be my plants because they were here before i even started to plant my plants. They showed up in my bathroom one day. It was about 5 of them and I killed them but they just kept showing up. Are they coming inside my house just because it is getting cold outside?

In my kitchen they just started to show up. I noticed them about a week 2 weeks ago. How do i get rid of them. I need to know before thanksgiving comes because i don't want them to be all over my food. The problem started off in my bathroom and has spread. Those little bugs are such annoying pests.I need remedies now! Quick. Please.

The vinegar trick seems to be working. what are some other tricks.

I have been having the same problem with my litter box I clean it and they reinfest. They get into my compost, kitchen sink etc like fruit flies but they seem to be too big to be fruit flies as some people have suggested,are much more annoying and I really think they are biting my cats and dog also. I havent found a definite solution yet but since it is winter here I have been opening the windows and freezing them out which is helping but so far not a solution. I put my cats litter outside today and hope that will kill off any remaining ones. I did not have this problem when I used different litter but since switching back to regular cat litter they have appeared. I will try changing the kind of litter, putting the kitchen compost outside and write back with any results.

I recently found a stray cat and DO NOT have a litter box, it uses the tub in the bathroom and there are ALWAYS gnats. I have to believe that it is coming from within it's feces and has absolutely NOTHING to do with kitty litter.

Read More Answers...

February 5, 2011 Flag

I have 3 cats and 2 large litter boxes for them and I am having a huge gnat or fruit fly problem. I keep the litters clean and get rid of everything the bugs would like, but they are still here. I want to get rid of the bugs, but not the cats. The bugs have been here since the last summer began and no doubt will be twice as bad when summer comes again. Please help! They are so annoying.

By Carolyn

Put 1 cup of apple cider vinegar in a plastic cup, then two drops of dish washing liquid (cheap is fine, too) to break up the surface adhesion. The bugs will dive in and drown. This is the cheapest and easiest way to keep them at bay.

Chances are you aren't cleaning the litter box often enough. What kind of litter are you using? I suggest the clumping kind. If you aren't currently using that you will be happier using the clumping so you can scoop both the urine and the poopie once or twice a day and put in a used veggie bag or grocery bag to dispose of. It's so much easier and will keep those bugs away. If you buy store brand clumping litter it's a lot cheaper than name brand. Even then you might think the cost is outrageous but it's really not because you're not having to throw out all of the urine soaked regular litter, only the clumps. Be sure to clean and dry the litter box thoroughly before putting the new litter in.

I have always used balsamic vinegar in a small bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and with a fork poke little holes in plastic wrap. The little buggers will get in and drown. I use this when fruit flies come out. Works wonders. Jenwa

I had 2 cats and one lived to be 18 years old. I never ever had your problem. I am guessing it's either in the cat's diet (bugs must be liking something in there), or else it's something in the litter. I only used Scoop Away. Loved it.

February 5, 2011 Flag

I have a gnat problem in my litter box. I just recently bought a Litter Maid. The waste bin is filled with gnats. I did not have this problem before I got the new box. I change the waste bin everyday trying to get control on the gnats, but they are taking over my house. What can I do to get rid of them without hurting my cats? Is there a spray or something I can use to get rid of them?

Rhonda from TN

Answers:

Getting Rid Gnats In Litterbox

It's more likely fruit flies than gnats. They're tiny and there are two types. But gnats can happen, too. If they're slightly fat, but still tiny, definitely fruit flies (if they're at all longer than wide).

For fruit flies, the best thing i've ever found you can buy at a hardware store (Sears is the best place for them). It's a sticky trap that is short (about 8 inches tall) and wide (about 6 inches wide), yellow, with four "lobes" of sticky stuff. Hang that up, put a piece of cantaloupe, peach, jam, or something sweet on each little "shelf" between the sticky bits. (Google "EZ Trap). Put it up where your cats can't get to it and where you won't bonk your head on it.

Another alternative, is wine-bottle or milk-carton traps. You can try various things (cider vinegar, a bit of wine, mayonnaise, ketchup) inside a wine bottle or milk carton. You can even leave a little milk in there, they love that, the nasty things. Then put a paper funnel (like you get at a gas station for doing your oil) in the top. Flies get in, can't get out. Just toss when you're done.

We haven't had as much luck with that as the EZ-trap and we've tried a lot of different things, including other sticky traps. It's definitely the best.

Switch the bait out, see what draws them. They're eating and drinking the moisture and nutrients in the cat box and even the little bit in the wastebin. Fruitflies can literally live for a short time on just alcohol fumes, so it's hard to get rid of them. Also take all used litter and tempting (to them) trash outside in a sealed plastic bag immediately for a while. That helps. Good luck! (09/10/2007)

By threehorses

Getting Rid Gnats In Litterbox

I have the same automatic cat box and never had any gnats, what kind of kitty litter do you use? How many cats use the box? I use Fresh Step kitty litter and I have 4 cats using my one box. I line the dumping tray with a plastic grocery bag and when I come home after working all day I just toss the bag outside in the trash. I replace the bag and add more litter. I also vacuum under and around cat box twice a week. I clean out the whole cat box once a month. I hope this helps you out. (09/12/2007)

By candleglows

Getting Rid Gnats In Litterbox

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com has a multitude of hints and solutions for getting rid of everything from gnats, to flies, to yellow jackets. Check this out, I'll bet it will solve your problem. (09/13/2007)

By Lori

Getting Rid Gnats In Litterbox

I know me and my soap water, but it does work for a lot of things. I just had fruit flies for a little while, when I brought in my onions after I thought they was dry. I did end up with fruit flies because some of them was not dry and started to rot. I just spayed them with soap water and you see them drop to the floor. (09/13/2007)

By Joyce wis

Getting Rid Gnats In Litterbox

They may not be fruit flies, but a different type of fly called Phorid flies. They breed in places with dead or decaying organic matter (sinks, garbage disposals, trash cans, litter boxes, etc.). Use a foaming drain cleaner or bleach or a strong cleaning agent to get rid of them. (11/24/2008)

By Amy

Home and Garden Pest Control GnatsAugust 21, 2012
Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
Homemade Cat Litter Box
Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 8:13:34 PM on 10.0.0.150 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.