Use Lemon Juice in Recipes

I want to try the following recipe, but want to know if anyone can tell me what the lemon juice is there for? Does it matter? Should it be fresh or bottled? Any help will be appreciated!

Strawberry Bread

Directions

Mix first 5 ingredients. Add eggs one at a time and beat. Mix sour cream and baking soda together and add to mixture. Blend in flour and nuts. Fold in preserves. Pour into greased and floured Bundt pan and bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes.

By Bonnie

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

It might be there for the taste, though I think such a small amount isn't going to make much, if any, difference. I think the sour cream and the jam itself will greatly overshadow any flavor the lemon juice adds. If you want to try it with the juice, fresh is better, and one lemon costs less than a whole bottle of juice. Plus the juice has additives you don't need. I would leave it out, myself. By the way, the recipe sounds really yummy!

I agree with the first post, it's probably there to accent the strawberry flavor but 1 tsp. can probably be omitted if you don't have any lemons on hand. Fresh or bottled would not matter. With those ingredients (butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream, preserves) this will turn out like a rich, dense cake. Doesn't sound like bread to me, though it does sound good.

The lemon juice acts with the baking soda to make the bread rise. You don't want to leave this out. But it doesn't matter whether you use fresh or bottled.

Thanks to you all. With that info I did a little googling and see that vinegar would work as well, in reacting with the baking soda. Any opinion on using that instead, since it's what I have on hand? I can't imagine 1 tsp would influence the flavor, either lemon or vinegar, but understand an acid is needed to make it rise.

Answer

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJanuary 6, 2012
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Bottle of lemon juice and a cut lemon
Cleaning With Lemon Juice
Lemon Juice
Lightening Hair With Lemon Juice
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 11, 2016 at 2:11:22 AM on 10.0.2.128 in 709 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.