Use Lemon Juice in Recipes

By BonnieAlice 13 83

I want to try the following recipe, but want to know if anyone can tell me what the lemon juice is there for? Does it matter? Should it be fresh or bottled? Any help will be appreciated!

Strawberry Bread

• 1 cup butter
  • 1-1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp each vanilla, salt, lemon juice
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup strawberry preserves

Directions

Mix first 5 ingredients. Add eggs one at a time and beat. Mix sour cream and baking soda together and add to mixture. Blend in flour and nuts. Fold in preserves. Pour into greased and floured Bundt pan and bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes.

By Bonnie

Showing: Answers Sort

By Free2B 217 350 Flag

It might be there for the taste, though I think such a small amount isn't going to make much, if any, difference. I think the sour cream and the jam itself will greatly overshadow any flavor the lemon juice adds. If you want to try it with the juice, fresh is better, and one lemon costs less than a whole bottle of juice. Plus the juice has additives you don't need. I would leave it out, myself. By the way, the recipe sounds really yummy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By OliveOyl 602 Flag

I agree with the first post, it's probably there to accent the strawberry flavor but 1 tsp. can probably be omitted if you don't have any lemons on hand. Fresh or bottled would not matter. With those ingredients (butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream, preserves) this will turn out like a rich, dense cake. Doesn't sound like bread to me, though it does sound good.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jean 2 145 Flag

The lemon juice acts with the baking soda to make the bread rise. You don't want to leave this out. But it doesn't matter whether you use fresh or bottled.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By BonnieAlice 13 83 Flag

Thanks to you all. With that info I did a little googling and see that vinegar would work as well, in reacting with the baking soda. Any opinion on using that instead, since it's what I have on hand? I can't imagine 1 tsp would influence the flavor, either lemon or vinegar, but understand an acid is needed to make it rise.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJanuary 6, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Bottle of lemon juice and a cut lemon
Cleaning With Lemon Juice
Lemon Juice
Lightening Hair With Lemon Juice
Lemon Squares on a plate with lemon slices.
Lemon Squares Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 1:34:56 AM on 10.0.2.141 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings