Cat Scratching His Neck

How do I stop my cat from scratching all the skin off of her neck?

By Silver Cloud from Mississauga, ON, Canada

Best Answer

Hi. Aaahh, poor little Kirby. My cat had the same problem, and it ended up that she had allergies. She would scratch herself raw and be miserable. She needed to get allergy shots, and it helped. Good luck

Best Answer

I have a white cat about 2 years old. Last year he started scratching his neck raw! We tried everything. Food allergies, steroid shots, wrapped his neck, soft claws on his nails. Revolution. Finally, after changing vets, the only thing that worked was getting an antihistamine (we use chlorophenaramine) we bought 4mg pills (human pills) cut them in half and give him half a pill twice a day. in about a week completely stopped scratching! The other very important thing is to get a E-collar (at PetSmart) this will help raw spots heal faster. Also, if cat has gotten an infection because of dirt getting on wounds. They need an antibiotic for 2 weeks to a month.

Hi, this is my cat and years later. He still scratches bad and we give him the antihistamine pill when needed. However, sometimes it gets so bad- his eye gets ulcers, he scratches skin open by his ear, and neck gets scratched open. We have to get him a steroid shot at the vet. He sometimes needs an antibiotic shot and steroid shot. If his eye is painful we give him a pain shot too. He is the best cat and everything we do for him is worth it.

Hi Kokies, I hope you see this message. I have a cat that has very similar issues for the past 2 1/2 years, ever since I picked her up from the shelter where my aunt took her when my grandma got sick and couldn't care for her anymore. She never had ANY issues before, but now has itchy patches with a bump or two that causes her to scratch her neck bald. I have taken her to the vet dozens of times and got her an antibiotic and steroid shot that would last for a few months (up to 6 months) int he beginning, but now she has been going every 2 weeks for the past month and a half and she is getting worse. I am out of money now and don't know what I am going to do. But I am writing you because I am not sure your cat has allergies at all since the symptoms sound like something I just read in an article while trying to figure out what my cat has. It's a middle ear infection, which won't cause any secretions from the ears, but will cause ulcers on the eyes, scratching the ears and neck. You might want to ask your doctor about it. If it isn't treated properly, it will come and go with treatment. My vet said he recommends giving oral antibiotics and keep giving them to her until a week after all symptoms disappear. I am watching my cat wake up and scratch her neck as we speak, poor thing. She is declawed so it doesn't do the damage it would if she had claws. PLEASE ask you doctor about the middle ear infection and also, if he says it isn't that, ask about giving your cat the antibiotic treatment for a month or 2 until it all is completely healed. Prayers for our kitties, they are family! <3

Best Answer

Change food. Start with no food from grocery store pet food aisle. No corn wheat or soy. Cooking is good especially when you do some raw. Please google healthy kitty diet including raw. -- Itch? Athletes foot spray. If kitty is wild on this application, use the ointment. AFS even a good home treatment for ringworm. AFSpray cannot hurt your kitty. Takes the itch away, Could be fungus, but AFS kills lots of germs. Do not get in her eyes. Easy way to spray her is to wrap her, covering her head.

My cat did the same thing until I took her to the vet for an allery shot. The shot works perfectly but she needs a new shot about every two months. I get an allergy shot for my male cat, but he only needs one about once every 6 months. It completely cured the problem for them.

Keep changing your veterinarian until you find one that knows what the problem is.

Please take your baby to the Veterinarian for an exam. There might be something wrong.

I have had the same problem with my cat for the last few months. She had a bit of skin just behind her ear that she scratched open. I have tried everything! Bandaged her one back leg so she would not scratch which did not last long cause she then started biting that off. Gave her antibiotics from the vet but this still did not stop the scratching.

Put bandages around her neck, anything you can think of so the last thing I did was get the plastic collar (lampshade) which is the only thing that has worked. She absolutely hates it but there is no other way. The wound has healed. I am just waiting for the hair to grow back before I remove it.

Any questions please ask.

pocahontas330

My heart is broken. I just had my sweet cat just put to sleep. He had itching so bad he inflected horrible bleeding on his neck. Listen ! They did a biopsy and found Mersa. If you have other pets you want to know this.

Cat Scratching Its Neck
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Pets CatsFebruary 8, 2011
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
white cat on piano
Understanding Cat Behavior
A woman in a white t-shirt grabbing her sore neck.
Avoiding Neck Strain
🎉
🎄