Share & Vote

Natural Repellents for Lizards

0 0EmailFollow
Natural Repellents for Lizards

Lizards are harmless creatures, but can be unsettling in your home or garden. This guide contains natural repellents for lizards.

Solutions: Natural Repellents for Lizards

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Deterrent for House Lizards

1. Clean infested area with bleach and any other cleaning agent.

2. Use spray bottle mixed with vinegar, lemon, and finely ground cayenne pepper. Spray area 1 time a day for 1 week, then 1 time a week inside and outside house.

3. Place mothballs in area inside and outside

4. If any lizard is left behind, place plastic cup over lizard and then gently slide stiff paper under cup. Place outside a far distance because they remember where they lived.

By Aussie [1]

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Natural Repellents for Lizards.

Question: Keeping Race Runner Lizard Out of Flowers

A race runner lizard has taken up residence in the soil of one of my flower beds. One of your posted answers suggested mothballs and eliminating food supply, ie. bugs. So this morning I cut down my marigold bushes, sprayed the beds with insecticide and put out mothballs in pots and along the perimeter of the flower bed.

Around noon I saw the lizard climbing the fence. It then walked along the middle support to another section of the fence. Then it went down the fence, across a plywood divider and into the bed it had been sited in originally. This maneuver allowed it to avoid the heaviest concentration of mothballs.

How do I get rid of this thing? I'm ready to pour bleach over the entire bed!

By Beth BR [1]

Most Recent Answer

By Dinah Ackerson [4]08/19/2015

Beth, I guarantee your grandchild will not be able to catch your lizard!!! My husband is a biologist who frequently traps animals of all types for research (then releases them unharmed!). Even he has problems catching lizards. He sneaks up on them with a little string noose on a fishing pole and they still outsmart him!

As for lizard droppings, there are far worse things in your yard than lizard droppings that your grandchild will definitely find no matter how careful you are: Animal feces from rats & mice (both can carry several diseases easily transferable to humans), ants-can have very painful bites, many other insects-dung beetles who love to roll and eat dung, centipedes and millipedes-also very painful bites, spiders-painful and worse bites, etc. In addition to possible bites, all of these insects and animals drop feces wherever they are and your entire yard is fair game for them.

I hope that you will consider letting your lizard live as she or he is a very pretty animal and an excellent pest controller in your yard!

Question: Lizard Repellents

Does anyone know of any natural lizard repellents? Please suggest.

By Sill from Charlotte, NC

Most Recent Answer

By Sadaf K.10/30/2014

Hi, I'm from Pakistan. Lizards are very common problem here. It is said here that if we use peacock feather where the lizards used to come from, they will go away. I have tried and it works for me. You should try it too, hopefully it works for you too.

Question: Natural Repellent for Lizards

We have too many lizards that somehow get in the lanai through crevices we have yet to find. Is there anything natural that will repel them? I am sick of cleaning up after pets I never wanted, it's gross.

By Tibeka from Englewood, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Tanya [1]10/06/2009

Finally an answer! I'll try the moth balls and post back to let you know how it works! Thank you so much!

Question: Getting Rid of Geckos

How much vinegar, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper do I use in a spray bottle?

By Kathy C

Question: Getting Rid of Lizards Naturally

What do you do if you want to get rid of lizards in an organic way?

By Vyom from India

Question: Keeping Lizards Out of the Garden

How do I keep lizards out of my garden? I believe they are the ones eating my tomatoes.

By Ken from Phelan, CA

Question: Getting Rid of Lizards Inside

How do we get rid of lizards in our house?

By gagandeep

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Lizard Repellents

How do you get rid of lizards?

Cynthia from Dallas, TX

RE: Lizard Repellents

Don't get rid of them they are good bug catchers and they won't hurt you. I have them in my house. Sometimes I see them, but most of the time I don't know they are there. They are considered to bring luck on Guam if they are in the home. I have a little dog and she doesn't bother them, but she chases the bugs. She doesn't like bugs. (09/11/2006)

By Margaret from TX

RE: Lizard Repellents

I've been told that plain cold water in a squirt gun will incapacitate geckos that are usually too fast to catch. Then they can be taken outside or moved to another location. Make sure you wash your hands, lizards have salmonella. They will also not want to walk over bleached areas, because it will hurt their feet. RE: Lizard Repellents I use Cutter Bug Spray twice a year and it drives away the insects. Although mosquitoes are still a problem, it drives down the insect population to the point that there are no lizards in the area. Used to have geckos the size of big cats and small dogs, but all are history. (11/07/2007)

By Sandeep Dalal S. Sherman Oaks, CA

RE: Lizard Repellents

Try keeping egg shells around the places where lizards move. (03/06/2008)

By swetha

RE: Lizard Repellents

I had a lizard in my home and what I did was get those stick traps that you use for mice and put them in areas where they like to hide. When they walk over them they stick to the trap and then you can through them away. Just recently I have another one and he got smart and flipped the tray over. So I'm hoping that he hasn't gotten that intelligent or I'm going to have to start charging rent. (04/12/2008)

By P-Diddy

RE: Lizard Repellents

Try the squirt gun with water and a lemon base oil, you may like the smell but the creatures don't. Spray area every three to four weeks, if you have to. (05/21/2008)

By Bearwolf

Archive: Lizard Repellents

Do you know of a good lizard repellent?

By racine45 from Sanford, FL

RE: Lizard Repellents

I use mothballs. I put 2 or 3 in each pot. For in ground plants I use as many as necessary to make them about a foot or so apart. (08/24/2009)

By mjm22charco