OtherRepair

How Can I Repair the Worn Bottoms on My Trash Cans?

My curbside trash cans have the bottoms almost all gone from rubbing along the drive way on trash days. How can I replace the worn bottom on my non metal cans? I thought maybe shower pan vinyl or rubber car mats?

By Charlotte

Good questions as my trash cans have holes in the bottom too. Never thought about repairing them. I suppose you could cut an old auto mat to fit inside and glue it in somehow.

Why not find a bucket or tub that would wedge itself into the can against the sides? That would give you a new bottom on the can. If you need to make sure it doesn't fall out from being tipped over you can either use clear silicone around the top edge and glue it to the can or you can simply drill a hole through the side of the can and the pan and put a nut and bolt on it, or a rivet even.

Why not just save some time and expense by buying a new trash can? Any fix is going to be short term and you will end up buying a new trash can anyway. They are not that expensive.

Buy new ones with wheels on them and you will save money by not having to replace them.

If your trash cans are provided by your city, call them and ask if they will give you a new one.

I haven't found the answer yet, but the whole point in repairing is to be thrifty with resources - why throw all that plastic into landfill just because a replacement is cheap? Plastic welder might do the trick...

Glue large washers to the bottom at the scraping points and replace washers as they are worn down. Even my with wheels were getting worn until I put the washers on. You can glue plastic as well anything but the washers last longer.