Repairing a Worn Blanket

Category Other
Depending on the extent of the wear there are a few things you can try to repair a worn blanket. If the damage is small, try darning or patching. If it is more extensive, you might consider affixing the worn blanket to a backing fabric and even stitching around the holes for added strength. This is a guide about repairing a worn blanket.

I have a pink and white old fashioned design twin size blanket that I've had since age of eight in 1963. Guess you could call her a sort of baby blanket ;-) Anyway, she is threadbare now with a few holes (one large and the other handful are small). The binding came off years and years ago. I just can't bring myself to dispose of her because of all the memories she brings.

Yet am afraid to use her anymore even just to snuggle on the sofa because she's become so delicate that she just sits on the shelf in the closet. Any ideas what to do with her or how to possibly restore so she's not closet bound anymore?

Deeli from Richland, WA

Answers

Best Answer

I zoomed in but can not tell by the photo what type fabric it is made of? But I would do as the post by Glenn's Mom suggest and cut it into squares and make a rag item out of it. Ragged items are very popular now and can be done into rag purses, totes, table runners, or in this case you used it to stay warm you could make a ragged throw from it.

I saw its pink & white so you must like pink and it has a squared off design to it in sections. So just cut out as many of those squared design from your loving old quilt as you can that are not torn and then get fabric that is comfy to match in solid pinks and even white like flannel or fleece and cut them the size of your squares from your old quilt and follow the directions for doing a ragged design and you will end up with a beautiful new lap throw or what ever you choose, and can pass it along as a treasure to your loved ones like kids etc.

The ragged look it raw selvages but is so pretty and country looking. here is a site that tells how to do it.
http://quilting … ss/rag_quilt.htm

By Pat Eno. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I think that I would purchase a lightweight blanket or flannel sheet in pink or white and use this to reinforce the childhood blanket. Lay the two on the floor or a bed together, pin around the edges and sew together all around. You can then stitch around the holes to the reinforcing blanket so these will not grow larger. I would tie the two layer together with heavy pearl cotton or yarn at intervals of 5" or so. The blanket would not look elegant or new, but should be usable and this shouldn't change any of the special feeling that you have when you use it.

Best Answer

I, myself, would purchase a fleece or flannel backing and use fusible webbing (Wonder Under) to adhere both pieces together using a hot iron and a damp cloth as you are fusing. Find a material as close as you can possible find to match the blanket and cut slightly larger than the holes, place between the blanket and the backing. Adhere those first, then iron (fuse) the rest of the blanket, working from inside to outside edges.

Just to be on the safe side because flannel has a tendency to stick to hot iron, use a cotton material to cover the parts of the blanket that the iron may touch where the damp cloth doesn't touch (hope that makes sense) this will protect that blanket. Also another tip, if you pin all of this together ahead of time, this should aid in keeping the blanket and the backing as straight as possible. Should the edges not quite match when you are finished fusing, use seam binding and sew around edges, salvaging as much as you possibly can without cutting any edging off what so ever.

This is really more simple than is sounds. I just made a roller shade using Wonder Under and fused two different fabrics together. It turned out really well. Please let us know what you decided to do and how it turned out for you! Elaine

Has anyone seen a blanket like this being sold anywhere? I'm trying to restore this one and it has several large holes and is threadbare in many areas so I was hoping to find a similar blanket to use to reinforce and patch with. Also, any ideas for repair in general?

I'm a novice with a sewing machine so I was trying to keep it as simple as possible. I've asked some local seamstresses, but so far they've said they can't help without similar fabric to work with. :( Let me know what you think!! Thank you :)

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like you could darn it. Get a book on darning or google it.

Use the same colors of thread. You could make a sturdy repair that is not very noticeable.

Best Answer

It would really be unusual if you found a blanket like this - more like pure luck! I can easily see why you would like to restore it but with the large holes this may not be possible. Some places may be fixable but since this is a reversible blanket it would probably not look so good.
Have you thought about trying to salvage just one side? Maybe pick the side that has the least damage to the bear? If you cannot find anyone that feels they can "patch" similar material then maybe consider buying a solid color (brown?) blanket of the same size and attach it to the worst looking side. You could tack the blankets together and place more emphases to try and join the blankets where the holes are.
i actually did this with my grandson's favorite blanket when it had been washed to pieces but he still wanted it. You will need a large work area if you try something like this.
Good luck - I hope you can figure a way to salvage your bear.