Repairing a Worn Blanket

Category Other
Depending on the extent of the wear there are a few things you can try to repair a worn blanket. If the damage is small, try darning or patching. If it is more extensive, you might consider affixing the worn blanket to a backing fabric and even stitching around the holes for added strength. This is a page about repairing a worn blanket.

Has anyone seen a blanket like this being sold anywhere? I'm trying to restore this one and it has several large holes and is threadbare in many areas so I was hoping to find a similar blanket to use to reinforce and patch with. Also, any ideas for repair in general? I'm a novice with a sewing machine so I was trying to keep it as simple as possible. I've asked some local seamstresses, but so far they've said they can't help without similar fabric to work with. :( Let me know what you think!! Thank you :)

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like you could darn it. Get a book on darning or google it.

Use the same colors of thread. You could make a sturdy repair that is not very noticeable.

Best Answer

It would really be unusual if you found a blanket like this - more like pure luck! I can easily see why you would like to restore it but with the large holes this may not be possible. Some places may be fixable but since this is a reversible blanket it would probably not look so good.
Have you thought about trying to salvage just one side? Maybe pick the side that has the least damage to the bear? If you cannot find anyone that feels they can "patch" similar material then maybe consider buying a solid color (brown?) blanket of the same size and attach it to the worst looking side.

You could tack the blankets together and place more emphases to try and join the blankets where the holes are.
i actually did this with my grandson's favorite blanket when it had been washed to pieces but he still wanted it. You will need a large work area if you try something like this.
Good luck - I hope you can figure a way to salvage your bear.

I have had this blanket basically my whole life. It is white with pink polka dots. Since I have used this blanket for so long, it has worn down, a lot, to the point where there are holes everywhere. I have read many articles saying that I should just cut it into tiny pieces to keep it as a souvenir.

The seams are starting to come off. The fabric is really delicate because if you hold it up to the light, you can see through it. I want to know if there is anything I could do to fix my blanket.
*In the picture I have it tied that way because I don't want the holes to get bigger*

Answers

You cannot restore fabric that has worn out. Just cut some pieces with a pinking shears and mount in a picture frame.

If you are really crafty and have another item of fabric that you love, you can make appliques and meld the two together. There are lots of fun videos on how to do this on YouTube.

You may be able to do repairs to each hole, but that could take forever and leave the blanket really lumpy. It is always an option.

On YouTube watch a few mending videos. There are some neat techniques out there. There is one that you turn the mend into a flower or leave or other shape. It is very cool.

It depends on how handy you are and how much time you have.

When I was younger, I was big into applique. It made some neat projects!

Hope this gives you some ideas. If you need more ideas, Pinterest may help too!! Blessings!!

Ok thanks for the feedback. I have two of them. Im going to do what you said and the second I would just try to fix it and see how long it will last. Thanks!!

Restoring a beloved childhood blanket is an important project. If you do not want to cut it apart and remake it anew, consider backing it with a piece of fabric and sewing the two pieces together to reinforce the childhood memory item.

This is a page about restoring a childhood blanket.

A worn pink blanket.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair OtherJanuary 8, 2018
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-04 10:41:48 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️