Repairing a Cashmere Baby Blanket

Category Other
This is a guide about repairing a cashmere baby blanket. Cashmere blankets can be quite delicate. Repairing it may not be possible but there are options for covering the damaged area.

I am in dire need of help. My 2 year old has a cashmere blankie that is attached to her hip. We've already had to have the binding reinforced about a year ago. Anyway, one of the corners that has her "taggie" on it is falling apart. I'm wondering what I can do to fix it.

Answers

Best Answer

I'm sure she feels this is her property so anything you change should be with her "approval".

• Cashmere is very soft and delicate so I do not believe you can make any actual repairs to that corner.
  • That just means you have to find something to cover the corner but that will not tear the rest of the blanket apart. This means you will need something that is very light weight and large enough to cover the corner and at least a small part of the blanket.
  • Ad

• I first thought you might be able to find an applique to sew over that area but I'm not sure you can find an applique that is soft enough. Still an idea as I did see some on Amazon but nothing that would make your daughter smile (unless she likes flowers).
  • I would suggest you take your daughter and the blanket and visit a large craft/sewing store in search of a light weight material that could be used to cover an area larger than the worn corner.
  • Your daughter may like Disney characters on her blanket?
  • I believe you could cut a square (maybe round the corner that is on the cashmere toward the center) and hem the edges before sewing onto the blanket.
  • You will need 2 identical pieces as you will be using one on each side of the blanket - your sewing stitches should start at the binding and use zig-zag stitches to attach the pieces to the blanket (quilting style stitches).
  • Ad

• All of your hand stitches will be going through the cashmere to the second patch on the other side of the blanket and not actually "pulling" on the cashmere.
  • This will only work if you use a large enough patch to cover a good portion of the blanket as you have to attach the patch to a stable portion of the cashmere.
  • I have used this method to repair holes/tears in knit blankets but never tried with cashmere.
  • I know this is an important project so I hope you find a workable solution.

Other than darning it I dont think there is more you can do

Wonder if you can revamp that corner and add maybe a fabric or flower, something else to patch up that corner?