Choosing Watermelons

When choosing a whole watermelon, I always thump the melon with my fingers. The one that I choose has to sound "hollow". Very seldom am I wrong by using this method. I've had others tell me they go by the number of "bee stings" a watermelon has on it, as to how sweet a watermelon will be.

By Terri from NV

In Texas, for melons and catalope, we SMELL the stem end AND judge if there's enough "yellow" to the fruit, a sign of ripening.

According to Alton Brown on "Good Eats" a watermelon's ground spot should be yellow, not white, to indicate ripeness when picked.

A slice of watermelon in front of a full watermelon.
Selecting a Good Watermelon
Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitAugust 4, 2006
growing watermelon
Growing Watermelons
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Renewing Vows in a Wedding Dress
Choosing a Dress to Renew Your Vows
Choosing a Stroller
Tips on Choosing a Stroller