Browsing: Making a Dog Coat

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

Have any of you had luck with turning a pullover bib for a baby into a little Chihuahua coat by putting a Velcro band to go under the dog's belly? If so, can you tell me how you did it?

By Robyn from Hampton

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

My mom used to make her toy poodles sweaters out of our old worn out sweaters. I have repeated it with my own little chihuahua, Chalupa. You get a sweater with sleeves at the wrists are a bit bigger than the neck of the doggy, then just measure back toward elbow until you have the desired length. Then cut the sleeve off the sweater.

Try up to puppy and find where you want arm holes and cut out a triangle then try it on. May have to adjust armholes etc. then trim up the tummy area if you have a boy doggy as they are about as careful as all males around the potty. You now have a warm, nearly free sweater that will wash and dry and you also still have the other sleeve to make a matching one! Really works also with sweatshirts.

I love this, I am going to make them for shelter dogs too!

I use baby clothes from Goodwill, Walmart, Family Dollar, yard sales. It's lil' $ & easy to make. I like most fancy lil dresses, shirts, skirts with elastic waists. Since my Chi's are 4 & 5 lbs I use Nb to 3 months but can use larger, it is just a little more altering then. Cut up the back where zipper, buttons, snaps or velcro is usually. About a 3-4 inch strip usually. Bring new edges together. Sew on inside back together or velcro. Cut out a little arch so dogs don't wet the hem. The armholes/sleeves move from sides for babies to down underneath for dog's paws/legs automatically.That's it. Can see some I made in pet album, profile pictures at my Face Book, open to all, Katrina Virostek.

I'm going to try making Dixie, my chi a sweater from one of my old sweater sleeves. Just stitch where you cut for leg holes and where you cut the sleeve off. She hates clothes but she's going to need something warm this winter.

A homemade dog coat.
Making a Dog Coat
Crafts SewingJanuary 26, 2010
Best Detergent for Washing Baby Clothes
Best Detergent for Washing Baby Clothes
Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.
Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 7:34:59 AM on 10.0.0.9 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.