Lilac Bushes Leaves Turning Brown

We have 4 mini Lilac bushes (Tinkerbell) planted in a row in front of our deck. The two bushes on the left side are 3 years old and thriving beautifully, but the other two always die off and we have had to replace them 3 times already.

I've been religious about watering and fertilizing them, but eventually the leaves turn brown and curl up and the bush dies. I'm at my wit's end. The bushes are close together so I don't know why this is happening.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Joan from Orchard Park, NY

Best Answer

Lilac bushes don't do well in acidic soil, if you have pine trees near them they will do poorly. Ask your county extension officer about it, he may have some thoughts. You could add lime to the spot if the soil is acidic to neutralize it, you may need to do this every year or so. Good luck:)

Best Answer

I would take a leaf into a nursery and see if they can analyze it under a microscope. A soil test also is a good idea, but it seems odd that it would be so different a few feet away from the others.

Lilac Flowers
Lilac Leaves Turning Brown
Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthApril 15, 2010
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Rose Bushes
Treating Black Spots on Rose Bushes
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
🎉
🎄