Fixing Over Spiced Spaghetti Sauce

By Jackie 1

I have added too much Italian seasoning to my spaghetti sauce, how can I fix it so it tastes better?

By Jackie from Berks County, PA

Filter Sort

By mcw 80 1,752 Flag

Read Archives at bottom of page, there is your answer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jill 4 738 Flag

I would just add another can or two of tomatoes and tomato paste and "stretch" the sauce. You can freeze the extra sauce. That way, you'll be "expanding" the quantity to match the seasoning.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By metroplex 82 416 Flag

I only know how to remove too much salt - from any recipe. Add a raw peeled potato to the dish while it's cooking. I'd cut it in quarters then remove it before you serve, of course. Maybe it will work for other spices.

Good luck. I hate it when that happens, don't you?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Pixiedust7 7 897 Flag

Add cans of plain, no-salt-added tomato sauce to stretch your sauce. Taste after adding each canfull until you reach the point where the result tastes okay.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Nan Corpe 7 290 Flag

I would add a can of tomato sauce, size depending on how much extra spice you added. If the spices is extremely strong, add a can of tomato paste and keep adding water until you get the desired flavor. It's not a difficult fix. Good learning experience. Remember, dried spices are stronger than fresh ones.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Fixing Over Spiced Spaghetti Sauce

Is there a way to remedy too much oregano/Italian seasoning in an already cooked spaghetti sauce or meatloaf? I don't know why I do it, but I do.

I added sugar to my spaghetti and it seemed to tone down the Italian spice a bit. For the meatloaf, I made gravy that (luckily) toned down the Italian spice taste somewhat.

Is there any other fix or remedy to absorb the overly spicy flavor, other than not being so heavy-handed with the spice bottle?

luvvy from VA

Feedback:

RE: Fixing Over Spiced Spaghetti Sauce

For the spaghetti you can add a can of tomatoes or a can of tomato sauce to help tame the spices. If it makes too much, just freeze the excess and then you will only have to thaw and heat the next time you want spaghetti. I don't know about the meatloaf. Good Luck. (10/28/2007)

By Barbara

RE: Fixing Over Spiced Spaghetti Sauce

For the meat loaf, you might crumble it and add tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce. If it's too much for a meal, just freeze the rest for later. (10/29/2007)

By suzin

RE: Fixing Over Spiced Spaghetti Sauce

Try putting in a half cup of Italian grated cheese or a dash of vinegar. In my sauce, I use baking soda and sugar, never do I use oregano for spaghetti sauce. Or you can cook up some country style pork ribs and let them simmer in the sauce. Pork really makes your sauce. (10/29/2007)

By Tina

RE: Fixing Over Spiced Spaghetti Sauce

Just add some of the base ingredient in the sauce, in this case plain tomatoes, diced, or tomato sauce. (10/29/2007)

By kimhis

Homemade spaghetti sauce.
Spaghetti Sauce Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesOctober 30, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Hot Spiced Tea
Hot Spiced Tea Recipes
Spiced Peaches Recipes
Spiced Peaches Recipes
Homemade spaghetti sauce.
Spaghetti Sauce Recipes
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 4:24:20 PM on 10.0.2.213 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

CommentsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings