Starting a Website for My Neighborhood

I have been reading about community and one of the ways I thought I might inspire more in my neighborhood would be to create a website for us all. Perhaps to have a classified section, a trading/bartering post, maybe some stories about the early days (it was built in the late 50's) from some of the original homeowners. etc.

I was curious if anyone had tips for ideas or what NOT to do. I thought maybe posting addresses and names might be bad or phone numbers. In this age of identity theft I want to protect people but I also want to make it personable.

Open to all comments!

Thanks,
Robin from Marietta, GA

Instead of a website you might consider Yahoo! groups. you can set it up so that a moderator (yourself) has to approve each member in order to have access to the calendar/photos/emails/postings associated with this group

I do this for my neighborhood. First, I set up a "Group" called "HOA" (no quotes) (Ours is a homeowner's association) . Then, as I add contacts, I structure the name somewhat like this: HOA Smith, Susan - next, of course, I add the email address. This throws all the addresses together in the big address book so I can easily find someone by just typing HOA Smith.

Once I have created and saved the group, I make sure I have selected "BCC" in my outgoing email to them. I add the address book by typing HOA and the group pops up. I just click on HOA and it adds everyone in the group at one time. I send the message. Each recipient gets their copy to their name eg, Susan Smith - from me - with copies to "Undisclosed Recipients." That way, no one ever sees their email address except them and me.

Works great and everyone loves it coming directly to their inbox.

Couple Choosing a Neighborhood
Choosing a Neighborhood
Creating a Simple Website for a Business, Website URL on a computer screen.
Creating a Simple Website for a Business
Neighborhood Cat On Porch
Keeping Neighborhood Cats Off Porch
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 8:25:19 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.