Have Kids Draw Quilt Squares

When I learn of a new grandchild to be born, it's tradition for me to make the expected one a baby quilt. I like to embroider, so I try to find pictures or transfers that I can put on a quilt-block and embroider. Recently, my 4 year old grandson drew a picture of himself and me, and I got to thinking that it would be a very nice picture for his little brother or sister that is expected in the spring. I am going to ask him and his 7 year old brother to draw a couple more pictures for me, and transfer them to quilt-blocks for the new baby.

Here is the picture that Steven drew for me; I will post a picture of the quilt when I get it finished. (Notice the blue hair? Steven knows that blue is my favorite color, hehehe!)

By Carole from Locust Fork, AL

What an absolutely lovely idea! And how sweet that 'Grama's' hair is blue ;-) Yes, please do share a photo of the quilt with us when you're done :-)

How do you transfer the pictures to the quilt squares? I would like to try that. Thanks

I would also like to know how to transfer the pictures to quilt squares. pink2teach AT yahoo.com

what a great idea..I quiilt some and may try this also..how do you transfer this oonto the material?? if you'd like you could email me..to share your talents..djcats#sbcglobal.net..thanks,debbie

They sell fabric transfer paper in the fabric stores. It's about $12 for 10 pieces. You can do photographs as well as anything else you can print from your computer. They are very easy to use and washable.

What I have always done is use carbon paper; place the carbon paper between the drawing and the fabric, then draw over the lines on the drawing, which will transfer to the fabric. The only problem with this method is that the carbon smudges easily. You could go over the carbon lines with a washable fabric pencil or something along those lines; myself, I just work fast and get it embroidered before it smudges too bad. The carbon doesn't harm the fabric, and washes out easily.

Your idea of picture the grandson drew for you is too cute~!~! Thanks for sharing. My grandson will be a dad for the second time and I will use a couple of his drawings on an item for the great-grand daughter.

Good idea! I teach preschool and love the picture. Did you know that the size of the head means the artist thinks highly of the person whose head is the biggest? Start watching the size of the heads on the kids pictures. The largest head of the person will surprise you. Another thing I have noticed is when the child is upset with a parent and the child is drawing a picture of that person the head will be smaller. Preschoolers are very interesting they use pictures instead of words many times.

A child's drawing of a house, the sun and three stick figures.
Creating Quilts With Kids Artwork
Crafts QuiltingNovember 7, 2008
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
Up close photo of a colorful koi quilt.
Cleaning a Quilt
🎉
🎄