SewingCrafts

Curtains Made from Taffeta

Is it a bad idea to make curtains out of Taffeta? I got a lot of raised eyebrows when I told people that I was planning on making the curtains out of taffeta. I'm new at the whole sewing thing, so I don't know too much about fabrics. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jessica from Cinci, OH

The taffeta may not hold up too well, but if you like it do it and make sure you use a cotton or cotton blend lining. They should last a few years at least.

I have had mine up for 2 years now in my dining room. One side in my dining room gets full sun and they have held up well so far. Of course, they are not washable so that may be a concern. But I love the elegant look of them. Here is a pic of the ones that get full sun.

Thanks Kibby!

They look nice but need to be dry cleaned.

If you are a novice seamstress, slippery fabrics can be hard to work on.

And they make rustling sounds in the breeze. Anyone remember taffeta slips? Swish and they felt so light.

I'd suggest Poly Taffeta, if you are hoping for a more formal look and feel. Taffeta is reserved more for weddings and one-time events, but Poly Taffeta can actually be washed very successfully, and the water-prints are lovely on drapes. The fabric is thicker so use a heavier duty needle in your machine and make certain the bobbin is filled evenly, doesn't bunch, and that you don't have to remove any stitching, the holes of which will show when removed. Use wisdom. God bless and help you. : )

P.S. Should you want to line the drapes, remember to use a polyblend fabric with a higher poly percentage than 50%, AND remember to use polyblend thread in a slightly thicker warp, if you can find it, because you don't want any surprises when you wash them one day, right? : )

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful advice! I defiantly will heed it.

I just make curtains from pattern flat bed sheets. You can get them at yard sales for a quarter. Then I take a round lace table cloth and I got it in half and use it for a topper. Looks nice, and costs under 1.00 to make.

I made taffeta curtains and I love them. I "lined" them with tulle to make them puff out a bit. They most likely have to be dry-cleaned, but they look great. My decorating philosophy is: If you like it, use it!