Replacing a Shower Arm

Can a not so handy husband replace a shower arm (that is coming out of the tile wall)? I have a hand held shower that I use to bathe my dogs with me sitting on a stool in the tub.

The problem is the shower hose does not really reach far enough (5-7' stretch is all I can find and about 6 more inches would surely help) and it is hard on my back to pull on that thing while rinsing. For some reason the shower arm was installed quite high in this shower. It occurred to me maybe if I could find a longer and little lower shower arm that would do the trick.

Before I go searching for that can someone send me a "simple" link for a do at home replacement. Obviously, haha, turn the water off first. Yea, I know that one. I just love this site. Thanks.

By Nancy

I think the arms just screw in to a fitting behind the wall. I don't know of any links but you could go to Loews or Home Depot where they have books near the check out counter on all kinds of do-it -yourself home repairs such as pluming,electrical, etc. with step by step drawings and instructions. You could also ask the people in the pluming dept at these stores. Also, if the arm screws in to a ditting behind the wall the threads are what are called pipe threads so don't forget teflon tape to wrap the threads so they don't leak.

Well that's a big help. I've never really seen those books on "how to" and I'm in there at least once a week. Ha, I do know we have Teflon tape on hand. OK, we'll give it a shot (after I'm sure I can find a longer arm). Thanks so much.

Sounds like you only need an extension on your shower arm. Go to Lowe's or search for - Replacing a Shower Arm. Pictures & info there, good luck.

I've replaced shower arms, myself. They basically just screw into the fitting, as foxrun41 mentioned. If a woman with fibromyalgia (like me) can do it, I'm sure your hubby can, too. :-)

Or just get a longer hose and attach in it place of the one you have now. When my hose went bad instead of replacing the whole shower head I just got a new hose at Home Depot in the same place they sell the shower heads. It turned out to be a lot longer than the original and makes it that much easier to clean the tub!

Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingJanuary 14, 2010
Vintage Quilt
Repairing a Long Arm Quilting Machine
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 18, 2016 at 1:51:20 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 957 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.