Cook Up Poultry Giblets for Pets

When cooking a full chicken, hen, or turkey, remove the insides and save. Later when you have time, boil and save in fridge as a treat for your pet. Not too many people eat the heart, liver, and kidneys anyway, but your pets will.

By LRP from LWL, MA

Be careful !!! I was buying the packs of heart and giblets, cooking them, putting in with her dry dog food.

She (a boxer) got very sick, ended up staying a few days and nights at the vet, costing xxx amount of money.

Only dog food for my "old lady" now.

My mother-in-law lost her beloved Siamese after feeding him a regular diet of giblets in spite of warnings from her vet that it would cause him kidney failure. He suffered greatly before he died. Another food to limit is dry food that has high ash content - over 4.5%. If it is not listed in the "Guaranteed Analysis" section on the box or bag, DO NOT feed it to your pet except occasionally. Purina never lists it on their dry food and my vet says it is because it is much, much higher than 4.5%. My daughter lost her first pet to kidney failure due to a steady diet of Purina dry foods and he, too, died in terrible pain. Feed your pet chicken, by all means, but not the organ meats.

I love em. I guess I would give my pets the liver.

Be very careful doing this as it can cause doggy tummy ache.

I was buying chicken livers and cooking them for my dog. The vet said don't do it very often. So I quit altogether.