Browsing: How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?

How Long Are Dried Spices and Herbs Good For?

How long can spices be kept?

Carol from AZ

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

My Mom had a bottle of ground cloves which she used for her Pumpkin Pie. She passed away in 1989 and I still use those cloves in her recipe. Still have 1/4 bottle left. The aroma and color are fresh and spicy. Everyone raves about the pie!

If it's McCormick and made in Baltimore it is more than 15 years old. Throw it out!

I don't think any dried spices "go bad"; they just lose their flavor. Or, of course, get infested. If it's clean, and still smells like it should, go ahead and use it.

Herbs, now, are a little different story. Dried vegetable flakes get tough and leathery; dried leaves (dill, parsley, etc) lose their color and flavor. Again, though, I'm not aware of any health issues.

dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Food and Recipes StorageAugust 31, 2008
A cutting board with ground spices and fresh spices on it.
Ground Spices vs. Fresh Spices
Drying and Storing Herbs
Drying Herbs
Freezing Herbs
Someone picking fresh basil.
Pairing Herbs with Vegetables