Purchasing a Steam Cleaner

I am not a very good housekeeper, but I have seen a steam clean machine in action and I think having one would help me clean my house faster and more efficiently than I do now. Does anyone have frugal ideas on which one I could get and whether this is a worthwhile thing to pursue.

My friend that owns one has a much different household than I have, many dogs and lots of family, verses one dog and me. I know I can't hold things or have a unit that I would have to press a button to keep the steam coming out. I have arthritis in the fingers and Fibromyalgia.

I have just got to get this place cleaned up, honestly it is a mess and I don't like it. I have been on Target's website and they have a 1500watt one that is the least expensive I have found.

Sandy from Baltimore, MD

sandy here. i dont need a carpet clean-already have one of those. this is to steam hard surfaces like the bathtub and tile.

I found a Hoover Vacuum store in my area (it happened to be in an outlet mall) and purchased a refurbished Hoover steam cleaner that came with a warranty. I could also take it back to that same store if it ever needed any repairs. The refurb model was a lot cheaper than new. I, too, have a dog and a steam cleaner is a necessity. I have never had any problems with it. As my dog gets into his "senior" years, I'm getting more and more use out of it. I've probably had it for over 7 years.

Go look at what Oreck offers! I have their new XL vacuum and also bought the floor cleaner, which does a good job cleaning. I have stained, light colored carpet and it has done wonders. It also works on laminated, etc. You do not have to use their expensive products with it. I've used theirs and cheaper ones, all with successful results! I have house pets to clean up after, too!

I bought a hoover brand about three years ago and its been great. I use it once a month and my friends always ask me if I changed my carpet anytime they visited. It is worth the money.

I have an old house with old house smells. I want to clean my house also. I got the idea to purchase a Handheld Fabric Steamer by Conair to use on walls. It will probably work well on tiles and shower, but haven't tried it yet. It is light, easy to use, fairly long cord and inexpensive. Tried it on the wall tonight and it worked good, used the steam on the wall and then wiped off the moisture with a dry towel. Hope this helps.

DG in Texas.

February 4, 2008 Flag

I am thinking about purchasing a steam cleaner for the carpet because of the dog. Suggestions? Warnings?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers:

Purchasing a Steam Cleaner

Don't waste your money on the H2O steam vac. I bought one, it was very heavy and the cord was too short to go from one room to the other.
The steam container is small. Overall a big disappointment.
This is the one advertised on the late night info-mercials (12/07/2007)

By PICO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice General AdviceFebruary 4, 2008
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Someone using a carpet cleaner.
Using A Steam Carpet Cleaner
Trowel and Garden Gloves
Buying Garden Tools
Steam Cleaner
Steam Cleaner Doesn't Release Steam
🎉
🎄