Steam Iron Doesn't Produce Steam

Category Appliances
Minerals in your water can clog the vents in your iron causing it to stop emitting steam. Vinegar can often be used to clean it and return your iron to good working order. This is a guide about what to do when a steam iron doesn't produce steam.

My steam iron heats well, however it does not emit steam. I added new clean water.

Answers

Chances are your vents are clogged. It happens when hard water leaves residue. Pour some vinegar in the iron and let it steam. It will help. Also to keep it shiny on the bottom, scrub it with foil. Hope that helps.

It has a mineral buildup. Put some vinegar in it and let it sit overnight then drain it. I do that to my steam iron on occasion.

The red light won't come on

Red light will not come on steam generator just stopped while using

Swan steam generator S 19031N any clues please

We have a steam iron that we haven't used for about a year. Before putting it away, we emptied the water from the reservoir. Now we are trying to get it to steam, but it won't. Any tips for cleaning it? We have only used this iron a couple of times.

By Kathy from Columbus, OH

Answers

You might try vinegar to unclog the sprayer. Leave the hot iron on a while, then empty and rinse a couple of times. Good luck.

To remove stains, I use wax paper with salt rubbing the hot iron over it several times.

Sometimes the sprayer gets a calcified buildup; you might try either a needle or a thin, bent-straight paper clip to see if it clears it.

Vinegar water. Fill it up and let it sit steaming, fill again.

I have a steam iron, but its automatic steam function is not working and the water reservoir remains full.

By Sohana

Answers:

Iron Doesn't Produce Steam

I clean mine with a mixture of white vinegar and water. If you're not producing steam at all, I'd use straight vinegar. Empty the water that's in it now and add the vinegar. Let it set to do its work. I lay mine in the sink on a cooling rack. It will probably take a couple doses. Hope this works for you. (05/20/2010)

By keeper60

Iron Doesn't Produce Steam

keeper60 has the answer, I 'second' it. :) (05/22/2010)

By Cajun62234

My Rowenta steam iron doesn't produce steam. Also, I have a brown spot on the iron's faceplate.

Thanks.

By Bena from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

Iron Doesn't Produce Steam

Your steam iron can be cleaned effectively with a mixture of white vinegar and water. Pour mixture into the iron and turn on the steam, and run your iron over an old cloth. The rust like particles will come out of the holes. When it's cleaned out, pour in water and do the same thing. Clean the bottom with some cleaner from kitchen. Good luck. (01/29/2010)

By kffrmw88

Iron Doesn't Produce Steam

Once you clean your iron with the vinegar and H2O, then be sure to only use bottled water in it to avoid the same problem. (02/03/2010)

By 2oldn2ys

My steam iron does not issue steam; it just spits out water and drenches the clothing. Any ideas?

Kate King

Answers:

Steam Iron Not Working

Hi Kate,

It is probably clogged with mineral deposits.
First, empty all of the water out of the iron. Then take some vinegar and fill up the water reservoir.

Let it sit a while (1/2 hour or so), then turn on the iron to the steam position. If it has a sprayer, spray some, too. Then turn it off and let it sit a little longer because the vinegar will have worked its way into the plumbing of the iron. It will help dislodge the gunk (probably mineral deposits) that are clogging the iron.

Then dump out the vinegar and put in clean water and repeat the process. If it seems to be working but you are getting a lot of stuff out of the iron you might want to repeat the whole process again. Make sure to iron onto something you don't care about, a rag or old towel.

If this doesn't work, you probably need to get a new iron but it's always worked for me. To keep your iron clear of mineral deposits, buy a jug of distilled water to use only for your steam iron.

- Susan (09/17/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Steam Iron Not Working

Vinegar-diluted with water will cure this. Fill your iron with a vinegar/water solution -about half and half and plug it in and let it sit upright and steam itself clean. When the solution is all gone, run through plain water which should steam nicely. Using distilled water in your iron will keep this from happening. (09/17/2004)

Steam Iron Not Working

Vinegar will clean the buildup out. Put white vinegar instead of water in your steam iron and heat it up. You may have to do this a couple of times but this will clean it up. Hope this helps!
(09/20/2004)

By geri

Steam Iron Not Working

Regarding the comment by Susan to buy a jug of distilled water....we buy bottled water for drinking and only use this in the iron, no longer use tap water, and our "gunk" problems seem to have disappeared! (09/21/2004)

By Ann