Boot Memory Keepsake

contest winner icon

This is something that I did nearly 10 years ago. My father passed away in 2001. After the funeral, I went to his closet and picked one of his work boots, or his "brogans" as he called them. My father was in timber all my life until retiring.

I took the boot to a local florist and asked for a "woodsy" looking arrangement in the boot and to NOT change anything about the boot. I wanted it with all the scuffs intact.

I think the arrangement turned out great. I cross-stitched the picture above the arrangement as a gift to him for Christmas 1994. There is actually a photo of Daddy inside the framed picture of him holding the gift.

The boot is on top of his antique Franklin rolltop desk that I inherited. Everytime I pass the desk, I look at the boot and picture and think of him.

Take a look at your parents' things BEFORE you discard them! Once gone, you can't get them back. I am so thankful that I chose to do this memorial to my father.

By Southeastgeorgiapeach

What an awesome thing to do in memory of your father! This is such a great idea!

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

What a wonderful tribute to your fathers memory!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This is just beautiful and I'm amazed that you would think of such. I'm now thinking about what I can do with some of the things that were my Mother's.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Beautifully illustrated story behind the arrangement. Love it, love it, love it!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I love it too. My dad was a woods worker in the U.P. and wish I'd heard of this before his things went to the goodwill store.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thank you so much for the idea. My dad died this past September and I have got some idea's on using some of his clothes for Christmas ornaments. I like this idea. You know if your dad wore a hat you could do something like this also.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Wow! That is such a great idea. From the cross-stitched picture all the way down to the desk :0) And what a great way to remember your dad.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a beautiful tribute to you father.

Judi

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a wonderful idea, very special!

Reply Like this photo? Yes