Removing Odor From Dresser Drawers

I've inherited a chest of drawers and matching bureau from my mother. The interior and drawers stink. I'm at a loss as to what the odor is much less how to get rid of it.

The odor reminds me of Estee Lauder's Youth Dew perfume with a sharp vinegary overtone. I've tried cedar eggs, mothballs, potpourri, bleach, and fabric softener (liquid and dryer sheets).

Does anyone have any idea what might work to kill the odor? I'm handicapped and on a limited budget, so I could really use a great home remedy that is very easy to use. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

By Susan from Brentwood, NY

Best Answer

Try cleaning the inside of the drawers with Murphy's Oil Soap which leaves a nice scent behind. In a large bowl use about 1/4 to 1/2 capful of the liquid with warm water. Dip your cleaning rag in the water, wring it out and wipe away inside and out.

Best Answer

I would try to polycoat the inside of the drawers if they are natural, if they are painted I would repaint them. This should "seal the odor in" as opposed trying to remove it.

Best Answer

I've used the sun to get rid of odors from a trunk. Just place in strong sunlight. Don't let the furniture get wet at all and check often so the finish will stay OK. I have also read that charcoal, crumbled newspapers, and cat litter help. I think it will take a long time for the odor to go. I would also try washing like a previous poster mentioned.

Best Answer

I know this sounds silly but it works! Pour fresh (unused) kitty litter in the drawers. Wait a few days and the odor will be gone. I used this technique to remove odors from wooden cheese boxes.

PS keep the cats away while waiting or you will have a bigger issue! Sherielu

Best Answer

Put an open small bag of charcoal that you grill with in the drawers and forget about it for about a week or longer. Amazingly the charcoal will absorb the orders then throw them away. I too am disabled and know that putting them around in a smelly room will keep the air clean smelling! Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Best Answer

Place a slice of lemon on a saucer or bicarbonate of soda in the drawer and it will absorb the odor.

Best Answer

This works every time! Line the drawers with a couple sheets of newspaper and put 1/2 cup unused coffee grounds over the paper. Shut the drawers for a week. Voila! No more odor. I also did this with an upright freezer that had lost power and everything spoiled and therefore left an odor. I tried everything and nothing worked until the coffee trick!

Ask one of your neighbors who bar-b-q's for a few new (not burned) charcoal briquettes. Put one or two in each stinky drawers and forget about it for a week. If the drawer still stinks after a week leave the briquette for another week until the odor is gone. You can actually use the used burned charcoal briquettes to get rid of bad odors from your trash can but WAIT until the briquettes cool down.

Antique cabinet with drawer open
Removing Odors From Dresser Drawers
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsOctober 20, 2009
Dresser Drawer
Freshening Dresser Drawers
Old Dresser
Recycling an Old Dresser
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
🎉
🎄