Browsing: Cleaning a Baseball Uniform

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Baseball Uniform

Baseball uniforms can get pretty dirty. It is important to get them clean so that they look their best at the next game. This is a guide about cleaning a baseball uniform.

A young boy in a baseball uniform.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 30, 2008 Flag

My boys play baseball and I like to buy them the double play Mizuno baseball pants. They are more expensive but they last so much longer and don't rip in the knees so it turns out to be worth it. But you cannot bleach them. They suggested some expensive Krud Kutter Red Clay remover which I bought and it doesn't get the stains out. Have any home remedy suggestions for cleaning white baseball pants? The baseball clay is what I cannot get out from the infield.

Sally

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have to agree that Fels Naptha is the only thing for removing the red clay stains from my son's white or gray baseball pants. In the past, I've never had any trouble getting the red clay out even without pre-treating. But then they refurbished our baseball field this year, and all of a sudden, nothing will get those red stains out. I tried everything that has been suggested here but no - still stained after washing.

Then I remembered a baseball mom suggesting Fels Naptha years ago, and at the time I actually bought a bar but never needed to use it. So I dug it out, moistened the pants and rubbed the bar on the stains, let it set a couple minutes, tossed it in the washer, and unbelievably, the stains were gone without a trace! Fels Naptha is a really old product that your grandmother probably used. For some reason, it apparently fell out of favor with all the "new and improved" laundry products that got introduced. But it works like magic on every stain I've tried it on so far, mud, grass, feces, but best of all, blood.

On blood, it's miraculous almost - better than Oxiclean, enzyme bleach (Biz, Clorox 2), chlorine bleach, and hydrogen peroxide (although the peroxide had been my most recent fave, it often took a number of applications and sometimes still didn't get the blood out.) But with Fels Naptha you just moisten, rub, wait 5, wash, and miracle! no blood! You can get Fels Naptha in some grocery stores, but I get mine at Ace Hardware. It comes in a bar like a large bar of soap, and is with the laundry products. You can also buy it online, just Google it.

I've also made a kind of a liquid Fels Naptha because it got too time-consuming to rub that bar on many large red clay stains every day and because I'm kind of lazy. I just grated about 1/4 cup of the Fels Naptha from the bar, mixed it in about 1 cup water (you'll have to experiment), blended it all up with my immersion blender into a smooth liquid, and now just pour it on the stains like any other liquid stain remover. It doesn't bleach out colors at all (I've gotten distracted and left if for over a day at times). Find some and buy it - it's cheap and you won't regret it!

I purchased Clayz-out spray online. I sprayed the stains and I the clay came loose from the fabric and the pants turned white even before I washed them.

Does anyone know where to purchase this Fels Naptha soap? Thanks.

You can buy Fels Naptha soap at your larger grocery stores. I see it on the top shelf in the stain removal area. It is packaged like a single bar of soap. The off white wrapper makes it look like it has been sitting there for years. The stuff works great. I am working on a pair of baseball pants now and was searching for a solution to get the clay out of the pants. I had completely forgotten about the Fels. Going to try it now.

Read More Answers...

October 30, 2008 Flag

My son played in Cooperstown this week where they play on a clay field. I cannot get the red clay stains out of his baseball pants. Any suggestions? FYI, the pants can not be bleached and must be washed in cold water because they are 100% polyester.

Karen

Answers:

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

Try using shout gel. I work with clay in pottery- lizzela - which is orange and it stained my light jeans, even after a wash. I then used shout gel and oxy clean and almost all of the stains were removed. (08/10/2005)

By zoombit

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

My son plays a lot of baseball, I always have to use bleach to get out all those stains. His pants are polyester too. The bleach doesn't hurt them at all. Don't you just love baseball, we sure do! Good luck to him. (08/11/2005)

By jojo

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

Try using a bar of zest soap (08/11/2005)

By klr2080

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

Try oxyclean. I use it for all of my whites. I start the washer with hot water, add about 5 large scoops and when it dissolves, I switch the water to cold. I add all of our socks, white t-shirts, towels, plus any stained items. Let it agitate for about 5 minutes and then let them soak overnight or at least 6 hours. Run through the regular cycle, and then I run it again with detergent though that is probably not necessary. (08/11/2005)

By Ann

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

Use powered Cascade for the dishwasher. About 1 cup to a large wash. I've used it for years on my son's baseball pants. (08/21/2005)

By Brenda

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

Hi,
1 cup of Cascade seems like an awful lot. I'd use much less to start, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 cup.
Susan from ThriftyFun (08/21/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

Use Eisco's Clay Mate, and Grass & Blood Remover (which is part of their Clubhouse Kit Line of Products, carried by Modell's). Or Call Brad for information on the entire Clubhouse Kit line 877-CLUB-KIT (258-2548)
Great products!
(12/20/2005)

By A.S.

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

Try clubhousekit.com they provide the same products for all professional baseball teams (01/18/2006)

By Howard

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

We have all clay fields here also. But, someone turned me on to 'fels-naptha'. It is a bar of soap for laundry purposes. It works! I just wash the pants, rub the bar on the stains and rub it in real well, then throw them back in the washer. Try it! (03/28/2007)

By SHARON

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

My client LaundriTek, Inc. based out of Arizona introduced a new cleaning product: The "Cleaning Agent" that takes care of your cleaning needs.

MLB Teams are now using our product to remove the new red-clay that is being used in baseball fields

Please phone 602-410-5673 or email shdmarketing AT yahoo.com and receive more information on the product. (05/20/2007)

By Owner of SHD Marketing & Distribution

RE: Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

Hi Karen,

I am a manufacturer who sells a commercial product to the professional baseball teams called "Slide Out". It will remove old or new red clay stains immediately upon spraying it on. It is sold as a two part kit consisting of 1 gallon of Part 1 solution and 1 gallon Part 2 solution. You also get a dual chamber spray bottle that mixes the two products together at point of use to activate and remove the stain. It never...yes I did say NEVER fails. Call me at 623-326-7945 to discuss delivery and pricing.
Mark (06/04/2007)

By Mark

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

We make a product called Clay Mate clubhousekit.com. As long as you did not dry the uniform the clay should come out. I would also suggest washing in at least warm. Nothing comes clean in cold. If the pants look bad to begin with you have nothing to lose. (10/22/2007)

By Brad

Removing Clay From a Baseball Uniform

Use dishwasher detergent. This gets clay and mud out. Just put it in with your regular detergent. It works wonders, you'll see. (07/19/2008)

By stacey

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 21, 2011
New York Yankees cap on white background.
Displaying a Baseball Hat Collection
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
Child's hand picking an English daisy in the lawn.
Alternatives to Having a Lawn
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 12:36:30 AM on 10.0.1.174 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.