Washing Sports Uniforms

Category Clothing
Athletic uniforms can be a challenge to get clean and smelling fresh. This guide is about washing sports uniforms.

Kids into team sports this year? All those "sweaty" uniforms and socks making you wish you had a clothespin for your nose? How will you ever get them fresh again using the bargain brand detergent?

Just add a half cup of white vinegar to your wash and all the odors will be gone and it will give your washer a thorough cleaning of any built up mineral deposits at the same time.

By Marie N. from Portland, OR

This is a guide about cleaning a baseball uniform. Baseball uniforms can get pretty dirty. It is important to get them clean so that they look their best at the next game.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My husband coaches a basketball team that recently received new uniforms. The colors are red and white. How do I launder them so that the red does not bleed and fade onto the white trim?

Mary from Leesville, Louisiana

Answers

By mary wallace (Guest Post)

i would try soaking them in white vinegar and then wash as usual. do not let them sit in the washer as they will bleed if left there for too long after they have finished washing. then dry as usual....i have even heard if one uses salt as a pre-soak for bleeding. if they do bleed do not put them in the dryer as it will set the fading. just re-wash them till the fading comes out. there is a product called rit color remover that one can use to get out fading or bleeding...i hope that this will help you.

By Ann4 (Guest Post)

I wash all new clothing in salt. Just fill the washer with as much water needed to cover the clothes. If you are doing a washer full, I'd pour in an entire rounded container of salt. Don't need to let it soak, but don't wash with anything added to the water but the salt.

After the entire wash, etc cycle is finished, I wash the items in regular detergent. Always use cold water only. This will also help keep the colors from fading. Hope this works for you - it always does for me.

How do you get sand stains out of soccer uniforms?

By cori from Woods Cross, UT

Answers

When my kids were in young sports (they are engaged adults now) we were exposed to baseball, soccer,football pants, and of course they all were white. A former football player gave me a tip and it really worked..bar Dial soap. Wet the bar and the stain and rub the bar into the stain. It can be the gold colored bar but just the plain soap. The joke became how dirty could my very active and ornery son get his pants and could I get them white again. It never failed me, grass, mud, black mud, sand, red clay.