Cleaning Basketball Uniforms

My husband coaches a basketball team that recently received new uniforms. The colors are red and white. How do I launder them so that the red does not bleed and fade onto the white trim?

Mary from Leesville, Louisiana

i would try soaking them in white vinegar and then wash as usual. do not let them sit in the washer as they will bleed if left there for too long after they have finished washing. then dry as usual....i have even heard if one uses salt as a pre-soak for bleeding. if they do bleed do not put them in the dryer as it will set the fading. just re-wash them till the fading comes out. there is a product called rit color remover that one can use to get out fading or bleeding...i hope that this will help you.

I wash all new clothing in salt. Just fill the washer with as much water needed to cover the clothes. If you are doing a washer full, I'd pour in an entire rounded container of salt. Don't need to let it soak, but don't wash with anything added to the water but the salt. After the entire wash, etc cycle is finished, I wash the items in regular detergent. Always use cold water only. This will also help keep the colors from fading. Hope this works for you - it always does for me.