Tsunami Relief - School Teacher Looking For Ways For Kids To Raise Money

Being a good stewart of our money and resources also means giving to the needy. I am a high school teacher looking for ways to help raise funds for an orphanage in Sri Lanka that my classes have adopted as of today. The orphans are all safe from the horrific Tsunami but the orphanage buildings and campus were tragically destroyed and no doubt the number of orphans that will be needing accomodations will drastically grow in the near future.

I am looking for suggestions that will help me show my students that if many give a little, you can still end up with a lot. We are looking for ideas that will not target the community at large (they are already saturated by all manner of school fundraisers). I am hoping the students will give of their own like pop cans, brown bag for a day or two and give up their lunch money, baby sitting earnings for a day, etc...

If you have any ideas that have been successful for you please post them. I am hoping that we can send support to this orphanage for the years to come.

Thank you for your time everyone.

Matinga

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Our school does a fundraiser at Valentine's Day. The student council, or whatever group wants to, sells cupcakes with little messages on them (construction paper hearts glued onto toothpicks) We sell the cupcakes for 50 cents each and students love to buy them. There is no cost involved because the parents of the kids make them and send them in. It is all profit for your fundraiser. Or you could have the home-ec class do it. Kids of every age love this. High school has the biggest response to it usually. You could also sell roses but they cost alot more. Good Luck!!

A Penny Drive can be very successful.

It drives home the idea of "a little help from a lot of people can go a long way". It can also help HS students learn about organization and leadership if they go out into the community.

Good luck and thanks for teaching kids about empathy and stewardship along with academics!

Your students are in high school? I'd ask them what ideas they have, and let them choose. They''ll probably be more involved and dedicated to the project if it's one that they chose themselves.

However, one idea that you could suggest might be a service auction. Each student thinks of some service that they can provide, and then hold an auction to have people purchase that service. It can be almost any service: babysitting; baking a pie; giving someone a ride to the airport; tutoring, providing music for a reception; etc. The advantage of a service aution is that everyone can contribute their own talents (not just cooking, like in a bake sale).

Good luck! I think it's great that you're teaching kids how to serve others.

http://www.dosomething.org/kids-tsunami-relief-fund.php

This website had a few ideas that I thought would be helpful with fundraising.

I'm curious, how did your class adopt the orphans? I'd be interested in having my kids do the same. Thank you!

You can do a jumbo bake sale. We did that for the needy last year and made over $200! Or you can let the kids in your class decide on a good topic and they might become more involved

Any suggestions for Kindergarten?

Thanks!

A school here in Eastern Washington State had raised $1800 for a field trip. They decided to donate it all to tsunami relief instead of going to Seattle. They voted unanimously to use the money to help in relief efforts. It's wonderful that so many are finding ways to help.

Susan from ThriftyFun

My grand-daughter is 8 and her mother designed a beautiful button which she is selling for $1.00. The Button has a stylized picture of 5 little kids holding hands, a sun and water and, on the top "I helped a little child" and at the bottom "Sri Lanka, Tsunami -04"

She too wanted to teach little children that they can make a small contribution and it can make a difference. You can sell the button for $2.00 or more and keep the rest of the money for your charity. If you are interested, please email me back and I will send you a picture of the button.

We held a fund-raiser at my school that was insanely succesful monetarily and because the students and faculty truly enjoyed participating in it. Each student from the donating class prepared a basket. Whether it was a picnic basket filled with items they baked, or a spa basket, a movie basket, whatever they felt most represented them. Then the baskets were placed in the cafeteria and a silent auction was held. Each student bid on the entertainment provided by the basket and the accompanying date with the owner of the basket. We raised almost $6000- from only 200 baskets. And everyone wanted to know when the next charity would take place. I hope this helps. Good luck and bless you and your students for reaching out to others who truly needs us now.

Our school of K-6 students did CHORES FOR CHARITY. They each went home and to their neighbours offering to do any kind of jobs to help out in exchange for a donation. Together we raised $4500 for tsunami relief and got the students involved in their community at the same time. We kept track of all the money raised by posting one bear in the hallway for every $5 raised and ended up with a 'Bear-Hug' around the school. Good luck with your project and God Bless!

A math teach writing on a chalk board.
Teacher Poems
A child's drawing of a house, the sun and three stick figures.
Creating Quilts With Kids Artwork
apple keyshain
Making an Apple for the Teacher Keychain
envelope filled with paper flowers
Making an Envelope Flower Basket
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 8:53:34 AM on 10.0.2.136 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.