Making a Pencil Box for a Teacher

Category Gifts
Painted wooden boxes decorated with pencils and crayons allows you to literally make a pencil box gift for your teacher. This is a guide about making a pencil box for a teacher.

Teachers are special and it's nice to show them they are appreciated by giving them a little gift for Christmas. Here is a cute and inexpensive project that any teacher would enjoy.

Approximate Time:

Instructions:

1. I used little wood nesting baskets. They come 3 to a set and can be purchased in any craft store. Each one is slightly smaller and they fit inside of each other. You could also use a small heavy cardboard box or an empty can.

2. Paint the entire box in your choice of color. I painted the sides of mine black and then used white to make pictures, numbers, and such so they resemble chalkboards.

3. Once paint was dry, I then varnished the box. I made all three baskets and used a different writing implement for each. The crayons fit on the smallest basket so there was no cutting involved, but the pencils and colored pencils had to be sized.

4. If needing to cut pencils, measure length needed and using craft knife, score completely around pencil. Hold both ends close to scoring line and snap to break. Use sandpaper or emory board and rub off any rough edges.

5. Lay pencils or crayons on box to determine how many you will need. When ready, glue each onto box. I use E6000 glue. It dries clear and adheres fast. It's a great glue for crafting.

6. I had some measuring tapes already on hand and cut pieces from these to wrap around box.

7. There are many good sites on the internet that offer free printing for school related pictures. I printed out some and covered them in clear contact paper and glued them to the boxes. Another idea would be to print out letter boxes and spell the teacher's name.

8. Put a package of pencils in the box, then wrap with clear cellophane and tie the top with a red bow.

Here are some other designs I used.

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

So clever and perfect for teachers.

I love these little boxes. I have used them for a Valentines Day Post, too. These are inventive and festive and I love them!

AS a preschool teacher, I love these!