Making a Money Tree

Category Gifts
A money tree is a nice gift for certain occasions. This is a guide about making a money tree.

This is a money tree created for a 50th surprise birthday party. It is constructed of a sassafras branch (dogwood works good as well), curling ribbon in various lengths tied onto the branches. I used a vase as tall as the branch and added sand and rocks for stability. Money, small gag gifts, notes, candy, cards, even jewelry can be added. I plan on affixing 10 $5 bills to start off the decor and have guests add to it.

By Kym from Madison, AL

Top Comment

Your idea is beautiful. We have several dogwood trees on our property and I want this for a centerpiece. I think maybe I'll hang crystals from the ribbons though. Thank you for this idea.

How do you make a money tree?

By Archer

Answers:

Making a Money Tree

Get a rubber tree or a small christmas tree that don't cost to much, you can even go to a second hand store and see if they have some kind of tree or plant. Fold your dollars back and forth like a fan and tie it in the middle with thin wired ribbon or just ribbon. Be sure not to tie it tightly so that it will be easy to remove the money. At Christmas I like to get a 1 foot Christmas tree and buy some scratch of lottery ticket which i tape to ribbon and tie it to the tree and to make it more fuller i get very small bows and place them in between. Great gifts! They love them every time. Hope this helps you out. Good Luck! (09/17/2009)

By manges4

I have made several money trees for our ministers and missionaries. Just get a branch off a tree the size you can use. For a base, my son got a six inch piece of firewood nice and round, drilled a hole in the center of it for a base, and put the branch in. Or you can fill a three pound can with sand and stick the branches in it. We always use one dollar bills and taped on the limbs. I usually used 100 bills, and it is easy to make and a lot of fun.

Source: I have made these for many years.

By Helen P. from Greensburg, IN

I need to make a money tree for our Pastor, for Pastor Appreciation Day. Can someone help me out?

By Terry J from Goshen, OH

Answers:

Making a Money Tree

I like this idea of making a money tree, because it uses a small, live indoor tree, so besides the money, your pastor would end up with a nice house plant.

(06/29/2009)

By Fortunately

Making a Money Tree

From ehow.com

Step 1

Find a small branch between 18 and 36 inches tall depending on how big you want your money tree. The branch should have many smaller limbs to hang dollar bills.

Step 2

Purchase a metal or ceramic pot. If the pot has a hole at the bottom cover the hole with tape. Mix a thick plaster mixture. Put plaster in the pot with branch sticking straight out. Let the pot sit over night.

Step 3

Conceal the hardened plaster with silk moss, grass or leaves. Use a hot glue gun to glue the moss to the plaster. Cover all the plaster around the branch so your pot looks like it has a tree growing in the green foliage.

Step 4

Begin adding money to the tree. Use any denomination of bills to attach to the tree. Attach the bills to the tree using paper clips or mini clothes pins. You can fold the bills decoratively or just let them hang. It's up to you.

Step 5

Put small items on the tree branches that go with your gift theme. Use holiday decorations, religious charms, small toys or anything you want. Add little notes to the tree on decorative cards. They can be advice, poems, songs or IOU's. Anything you can think of that will enhance the tree.

Tips and Warnings

• Spray paint the branch any color you want before plastering into pot.
  • Fold bills using Origami techniques you find online.

Overall Things You'll Need

• Spray Paint
  • Paper Clips or Mini Clothes Pins
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Ornaments, Charms or Small Trinkets
  • Money
  • Ad

• Plaster Mixture
  • Metal or Ceramic Pot
  • Branch 18 to 36 Inches Long
  • Fake Moss, Grass or Leaves
(06/30/2009)

By dbleoangel

We want to give my 85 year old mother money for her birthday, we want to make a money tree. Any suggestions on how to craft one? I know there are certain ways the dollars need to be folded, etc. Or money roses would be fine if anyone knows how to make them.

Madeline from York, PA

Answers:

Making a Money Tree

Why not make the tree out of the branches and then get those tiny cute clothespins you can get a craft stores and clip the bills on? Just a suggestion. (02/20/2007)

By michawnpita

Making a Money Tree

I think fan folding the bills is cute and easy. I did that for my husband one Valentine's Day and tied little red bows at the bottom of the fan. It also fills out the tree. (02/21/2007)

By Di

Making a Money Tree

I am making one for our student helper who is graduating. I am getting a branch, any size that is good for you will do. I am spray painting it silver, using blue ribbon with beads tied on the end to fill in. I am using white ribbon with small clips for the money, spray painting a 16 inch clay pot and painting the school logo on it. Also, it is fun to paint in the college colors that the student is going to.
(05/05/2007)

By Laurie Stahl

Making a Money Tree

Thanks for the ideas. Here's mine: I purchased from the 99 cents store a small lazy Susan (black) for the foundation of the tree (the tree can spin for the guests to add money or just to admire), 4 coiled plastic center pieces that are made up of green leaves meant for placing candles in the middle, and 2 more coils made to look like they have pears and peaches on them.

I am going to strategically place the coils around a Styrofoam cone shaped piece, after I have painted the Styrofoam green. Then place little branches with clothes pins around the tree to hold the gold coins and paper two dollar bills for my granddaughter's birthday. (10/01/2008)

By MS. "K" ldyer

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.