VegetablesGardening

Planting Asparagus

I bought some asparagus pots with crowns that have sprouted and are over 16 inches in height already. Should I plant them in the garden now at 12 inches depth or should I leave them to seed in the pots? I know that when you have crowns that have not sprouted you plant them down to 12 inches and cover lightly as they mature to raise them to level ground. But these crowns have sprouted already. If I leave them in the pots all summer, what do I do with the pots in the winter? Thank you.

By prjprj12 from Gravenhurst, Canada

You can over-winter some perennial plants by sinking the pot in the ground. However, asparagus should only be planted/transplanted when it is dormant. Attempting it while it is in leaf (fern) will set it back and may kill it. On the other hand, although you didn't say how big the pots are, I'm sure they will soon outgrow the pots, and transplanting them in larger pots would be the same as transplaning them in the ground. If they were my plants, I would plant them in the ground as you would normally plant asparagus, but would be very careful to disturb the roots as little as possible and would keep them well watered and hope for the best. Good luck.

check this site out..

http://www.emmi  01/asparagus.htm

good luck.