Halloween: Home Party for Sick Kids

Years ago at Halloween I had two children who were not feeling well, so I did a rush job of planning a "party". We lived in a large, two story house, so here is what I did. I lined up a row of large boxes that had to be crawled through, each with "hazards" at each end. Some would be eggs, (ping pong balls), another would be broken glass, (bits of any noisy pasta, noodles, or such, laying on some aluminum foil). You can use your imagination. Of course, you warn them about the "eggs", and "broken glass". This is done in total darkness, or with eyes covered.

Then there was a contest for each one to draw the most Halloween-looking item with three crayons and only two sheets of paper, also in the dark. Include a makeup contest, using safe seasonal "stuff". Pair off your party kids two by two, and, yes, in the dark, very carefully, they make up eachother's face. We did this in a large closet we had, but most rooms, if you plan ahead, can be made dark, or do this after dark.

You can do lots of original games, but my final game before letting the kids leave the "dark, spooky house", to go bob for apples, and have snacks and all, was this: Each one had to reach in the bowl and pull out one of the witches "eyeballs". They had to bring one out of the room with them, to continue to the snacks. This was a bowl with hair gel. Jello, done with extra water so as to not set firm, will work but not have quite the same feel. Then put drops of food coloring into each. For a deep, dark, blood red, use red with a bit of blue. Then drop in marbles.

This was a day that could have been a bummer for my kids that were sick, and couldn't go out, but turned out to be one they remembered for years.

Source: Made up by me, really on the spur of the moment, so my children would not be left out of the fun.

by Loretta from Theodore, AL

What a wonderful thing to do for your kids! My witches hat is off to you!

Parenting General Parenting AdviceOctober 23, 2009
Dancing Skeleton, Halloween decorations.
Halloween Themed Dance Ideas
Planning a Halloween Party
Planning a Halloween Party
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Frog Costume
🎄