Puppy is Sick After Getting Shots

Category Health
While a puppy may be a bit sick after getting shots it is best to check with your vet to see if it is normal for the specific vaccination given. Otherwise a return visit may be in order. This is a guide about puppy is sick after getting shots.

Certain immunizations can cause side effects in some pets. This is a guide about my dog is sick after getting a parvo/distemper shot.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My puppy just got his shots, he's 6 weeks old. He threw up and keeps having the runs! One minute he's playful and the next minute he's not and won't move at all! Please tell me what should I do? I don't think it's the food, we changed his food 3 times.

Answers

Best Answer

I hope you have already taken your puppy back to see the vet as this can only be diagnosed by a professional. This could be mild or it could be life threatening so see the vet ASAP.

Hopefully your puppy is all better and you have nothing to worry about but if not, read some of these notes.

www.vetinfo.com/side-effects-basic-puppy-shots.html

www.vetinfo.com/dog-vaccine-side-effects.html

My Husky pup got her first shots on Saturday, and was also dewormed. She's 8 weeks old. Now she's lethargic, and has mild diarrhea. She's not throwing up, but I'm still a nervous wreck. She's also not eating. Is what she experiencing normal?

Answers

Best Answer

Well, my fur baby is finally better. I guess I know now not to panic when I get her next shots and deworming. I was mainly worried about her not eating, but I gave her a little ham and cheese ( which goes against my rule of no human food) and about 30 minutes later she started eating her puppy food.

Best Answer

Next time you are worried, ease your mind and call the vet.

I have a 4 month old male Rottweiler. A few days after he turned 4 months old, the vet gave him his first rabies vaccine on Tuesday (17-7-18). 2 days after on Thursday, he started vomiting and having diarrhoea at night, but it was only once and then he stopped and he slept. On Friday he became worse. On Friday morning he had bloody diarrhoea and then yellow diarrhoea all day. Naturally we called the vet again and he put him on saline. The diarrhoea stopped, but then the next day, Saturday, he vomited all day and then again the day after and had bloody diarrhoea again on Sunday evening.

Sometimes the vomit is red, sometimes yellow, and sometimes white. The same things is still happening now. Everyday the vet comes and puts him on saline and gives him a load of different injections. But he is not getting better and is so ill and lethargic, he can't even move. Moreover he drools heavily every time all day. The vet says that he has hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE). But I think it happened because of the rabies shot. I love him so much, I don't want to lose him so please help me out here.

Answers

He should be tested for parvo. Call the vet ASAP

Awww..so cute Prayers for the pup.

You are doing the right thing with the vet consults. Following the vet's advice exactly is critical.

Be sure to understand the hydration schedule and if there is special food to help. Hydration (water or Pedialyte if the vet okay) are critical to the recovery process.

Dogs can have reactions to vaccines just like humans, so that could be what happened. Be sure to get the vet's feedback on this.

I believe in the power of positive thoughts and keep telling your pup that you love him and that he is strong and will fight this and win.

Keep us posted on his condition! G-d bless you all!!

We tested him for parvo but the test was negative

It is so hard when you love a dog so much and you sit there and watch him suffer. You are doing all you possibly can for the dog you love. The vet is visiting your home each day and giving the dog the necessary medication and the treatment that is needed to make him better. In cases like this it can take up to a week or longer for the dog to start to respond to the antibiotics and the treatment.

Just hang in there I know it's going to be very hard to sit there and watch your dog suffer. Sometimes puppies are born with stomach problems and it doesn't become apparent until they get older. Your vet is trying his best to save your dog's life and take good care of him. The only thing you can actually do right now is to give him all the love that you possibly can and help him to get through this horrible time.

Well, It's over. He's no more. He died this morning. I hope his soul may rest in peace.

You have my deepest sympathy! I was praying really hard for him to recover. G-d bless you all. You now have a 4 pawed angel watching over you!

Once you are up to it, if it were me, I would ask the vet for the brand of vaccine used and would call the company to tell them what happened. I know nothing will bring your baby back, but it is important for them to know and perhaps issue a recall if there is something happening with the vaccine.

My late pup had to have a surgery on her back to remove a large cyst caused by a vaccine...and I regret now many years later that I never filed a complaint with the company. They should have taken some ownership as my understanding is my Carmel was not the first pup to have this reaction. Just some food for thought. I haven't been able to get you and your poor pup out of my mind. Prayers continue!

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a terrible disease.

Okay I'll do it as soon as possible because I too think there was something wrong with the vaccine.

I'm having an issue with water to my back wall due to a party wall with a neighbor. I have to do repairs, but have limited funds. Does anyone know who could help with repairs? I live in Philadelphia.

Answers

Contact HUD.org or Habitat for Humanity

This does not sound like an easy repair job as it may involve both parties (both sides of the house) but the basic thing is that whatever help you request you will first have to meet each agency's qualifications.

So sorry to hear you are having issues. Don't give up hope for help...sometimes it just takes a lot of digging and asking.

We live in a great state as there are some resources that may help you, although my understanding is they have wait lists...so if this is critical you may want to see if you can get financial help from a church or friends (a Go Fund me) or local club or organization like Rotary or Kiwanis who may offer help to get it taken care of privately.

The PA specific sites are:

ohcdphila.org/.../

philly.curbed.com/.../philadelphia-free-home-repair-programs

dced.pa.gov/.../

www.phfa.org/.../housingapplication.aspx

If you need help understanding these programs or cutting through the red tape, you can take to your state senator, who it looks like is this person:

www.legis.state.pa.us/.../senate_bio.cfm?id=1044

His office may be able to assist you with things like Legal Aide (since you mentioned a party wall situation) and free notary. Ours in Pittsburgh is amazing!! They have always been very helpful for us.

Good luck!

I think before you even sought help for this you need to sort the issue with the neighbor. Also, are you in a rental or condo situation? IF you don't even own where you live you may have to go through the landlord or get a legal aide to be your tenant advocate. Tenant rights in PA: www.nolo.com/.../overview-landlord-tenant-laws-pennsylvania...