Best Weight for a Shih Tzu

Category Health
This is a guide about best weight for a Shih Tzu. Each breed has its own ideal weight from puppyhood until it reaches its adult weight. The Shih Tzu's adult weight should be within the range of nine to 16 pounds (four to seven kilograms). Keeping your pet at its ideal weight helps to ensure good health.

My Shih Tzu is just over 11kg. His legs are longer than a small Shih Tzu, he is solid, and heavy, his waist curves in where it should. The vet says he's fine, but I think he is overweight. Is there anyone on here who thinks I need a second opinion?

Answers

Best Answer

In the book a vet gives you for your dogs shots is a weight chart. I own Bichon Frise dogs and they weight between 3.8 kilo to 5.3 kilo. My male is larger and he is the one who weighs 5.3 kilos. My vet says that you should be able to feel the dog's rib cage, but you shouldn't feel it when it is just bones. It is up to you to decide on the dog's weight. If you feel he should lose a kilo or two you can reduce the food a bit in the morning and night. I normally feed the dogs twice a day and give them small portions at this time. It helps to keep their weight down and gives them more energy. Look in the vaccination book and see the chart. Look for your dog's size and this will help you determine his weight.

Best Answer

They should be 4 to 7 kg. Unless your dog is bigger than average, he could stand to lose weight.

My female Shih-Tzu only weighs 1.8 pounds, but since she's 9 weeks old is that normal?

By Mickey <3 Ginger

Answers

Best Answer

That is correct at nine weeks.

Best Answer

My Shih Tzu at 8 weeks weighed 1 pound and 5 ounces, now he's 16 weeks and he's 6 pounds. Our vet said he's right on target.