Best Weight for a Shih Tzu

Category Health
This is a page about best weight for a Shih Tzu. Each breed has its own ideal weight from puppyhood until it reaches its adult weight. The Shih Tzu's adult weight should be within the range of nine to 16 pounds (four to seven kilograms). Keeping your pet at its ideal weight helps to ensure good health.

My Shih Tzu is just over 11kg. His legs are longer than a small Shih Tzu, he is solid, and heavy, his waist curves in where it should. The vet says he's fine, but I think he is overweight. Is there anyone on here who thinks I need a second opinion?

Answers

Best Answer

In the book a vet gives you for your dogs shots is a weight chart. I own Bichon Frise dogs and they weight between 3.8 kilo to 5.3 kilo. My male is larger and he is the one who weighs 5.3 kilos. My vet says that you should be able to feel the dog's rib cage, but you shouldn't feel it when it is just bones. It is up to you to decide on the dog's weight. If you feel he should lose a kilo or two you can reduce the food a bit in the morning and night. I normally feed the dogs twice a day and give them small portions at this time. It helps to keep their weight down and gives them more energy. Look in the vaccination book and see the chart. Look for your dog's size and this will help you determine his weight.

Best Answer

They should be 4 to 7 kg. Unless your dog is bigger than average, he could stand to lose weight.

My female Shih-Tzu only weighs 1.8 pounds, but since she's 9 weeks old is that normal?

By Mickey <3 Ginger

Answers

Best Answer

That is correct at nine weeks.

Best Answer

My Shih Tzu at 8 weeks weighed 1 pound and 5 ounces, now he's 16 weeks and he's 6 pounds. Our vet said he's right on target.

My 5 month old Shih Tzu puppy is only 2.71kg. Is this a healthy weight?

Answers

She is at the lower range of acceptable weight. www.allshihtzu.com/shih-tzu-age-weight-growth

If you have concerns, check with your vet. If you have a good vet, he/she should be able to answer the question by phone or email if you have an established relationship already.

If you haven't had the pup in yet, now is a good time to establish care and get all the vaccines taken care of.

Every pup, like very person is a little different. That is small, but she is young. Was she the runt? That could be a good size for her.

Post back with an update!!

Hi Pghgirl40,
Thanks for your reply. Yes we think she was the runt of the litter and she is extremely fussy with her food. However, she's a bundle of energy and we can't understand how.
I have spoken to the vet yesterday and they say she is tiny but as you say, all dogs are different, thanks again x

Thanks for posting back! I am so happy all is well with your fur girlie!!

I feel what you are going through. When she was a pup, my Carmel Ann was very tiny (4-7 pounds for a dachshund) for her first year and half and she was also very fussy about her food.

I think I tried 5-6 brands before she got one she would eat most of the time. I was a such a helicopter mom with her and had her to the vet, tried special treats, etc. Then the vet very wisely said they are just like human kids, everyone is different and I kinda backed off.

We had an amazing life together and she grew up to be about 15 pounds (although the vet had me get her back to the 11-13 range because of her little back and legs...for her bone structure that was a good range). Carmel lived to be 17 1/2!!

Sending blessings for you and your pup!! Hugs to all!

Hi pghgirl40.
I have to say I get more positive help from people like yourself rather than my vet. They seem to have a deal going with Royal Canine and I get a bullying tone when I say she wont touch it. Shes getting there slowly but I feel she's going to be hard work which I'm willing to put up with. I love her with no discrimination. Shes my baby and thank you for your input.

Jan04

Hi Jan. I hear you on that one! Don't let them bully you! You can honestly say you know your kid the best and thank them for their kind recommendation!

Our vet (although I love them to pieces and recommend them to any and everyone who needs the most caring vets I have ever met) have a deal with another big brand--Hills something or other. Carmel Ann wouldn't touch it. Clarence (when he was ill) would.

I don't have human kids but I know fur kids are just like them in that they like what they like and they have their own little personalities and quirks!!! You sound like an amazing mommy to your fur baby!! Keep up the good work!! Hugs to all!! JB

Hi JB,
What a sweet comment. Yeah our Asha has her lovely little cute ways with far outweigh my frustration at her fussy eating habits. For example I've poached her some salmon this morning but up went her nose, because my other half cheese on toast looks more appealing. ( it's that quirky little cock of the head with curiosity that gets me every time )

You too sound like an amazing mummy to your doggies. Lovely speaking with you xxx

Carmel Ann did that little head cock thing too!! OMG. We talk about that all the time. How funny!! It has been lovely chatting with you also! Hope you and Asha have a lovely summer!! Blessings to all!!

They do have such lovely little ways, that's for sure. Don't be a stranger. I feel I may need your advice in the future. Whereabouts are you situated ?

I love their little looks and such! We are in western Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh is the closest "big" city. Take care and enjoy your sweet pup!

Kaipo is 6 months old and he weighs in at 18.6 lbs and 8.44 kgms. The breeder told me he was the biggest of the litter and when the vet saw the size of his paws she also mentioned he is going to be a big Shih Tzu. But I have ill feelings he is getting way too big for his breed.

I have a female Shih Tzu who is 1.5 years old and weighs 10 lbs. She just was at the groomer's for her summer cut. The groomer mentioned to me that she should gain some weight because she has slack skin. Her vet didn't seem concerned about her weight at her last visit. She is currently being fed dry kibble (her dish is always kept full so she can eat freely). She also gets treats throughout the day and we share our meals with her as well. We do not feed her wet food. Should I be concerned? Do I need to fatten her up?

Answers

The weight is 9-16 pounds. If your vet is not concerned, you shouldn't worry, either.

Double check back with the vet to see if he/she agrees with the groomer, but I tend to go with the vet opinion that your baby is at a good weight. When I think of "slack skin" I think how my boy gets when he is nervous and dehydrates (pees a lot before a vet appt for example and his skin gets a little ripply--he has Alopecia on on his flanks so when this happens it is noticeable). Perhaps that is what the groomer was seeing.

Post back what you learn!! Sweet puppy!! Blessings to all!!

Perhaps your groomer is comparing against other dogs/or Shih Tzu she's groomed.

I would trust the vet more. Vet is more experienced and knows your dog's history.

Your dog looks to be the perfect weight to me.

My Shih Tzu female is 10 months old and her weight is 5.3 kg. She has not come into her first heat yet. Is this a good weight?

Answers

Your dog is within the range of 4.08-7.26 kg according to www.allshihtzu.com/shih-tzu-age-weight-growth

Weight will vary depending on diet, size of parents', how active, etc.

Reference: www.allshihtzu.com/shih-tzu-age-weight-growth

for formula

Pets Dogs HealthJuly 29, 2018
🌻
🎃
🎂