Shih Tzu Breathing Problems

Shih Tzu dogs are one of the brachycephalic breeds meaning that they have short noses and flat faces. This can, and often does, lead to breathing issues. If you have one of these popular pups check the information in this page about Shih Tzu breathing problems.

My Shih tzu is about 11 years old and for the past year and a half she has been having these little breathing attacks that scare me it is like she can't get enough air! Does anyone know what this could be? and if there is anything that I can do to either help her or stop it from happening?

By julie from West Valley, NV

Answers

Best Answer

Is your dog overweight? If so, that causes breathing problems and she need to go on a diet and the breathing problems will go away. If this is not the case then you need to take her to the Vet. It could be something serious. Better to have it checked out.

Best Answer

My 10 yr old Shih Tzu Darby has the same occasional wheezing, gasping, abnormal breathing noises. Vet said most smushed nosed dogs do this. I just baby him till it's over, about 30 seconds to a minute.

Best Answer

This sounds a little like "reverse sneezing." It is fairly common. However, I would have a Vet check her out to rule out other possibilities, especially given her age.

Best Answer

We have a Shitzu and we're pretty sure that what most of these comments are referring to is a snoring-type noise, and we're 99% sure it's caused by Heartburn. i.e. an acid bubble coming up from the dog's stomach, and popping in their nose. Squeeze the nose lightly, and get the dog to drink some water if possible, to clear the acid. Then, give a little chunk of an antacid tablet. That works. But, what we're concerned about, is different. Like having a stuffed-up nose,+difficult night-breathing, and we'd like to know if anyone has experience with a Shitzu that has had laser or other correction for that.

Best Answer

I have learned that when either one of my dogs has this problem, I just pick them up and blow in their nose and they stop right away. I think I read that on this site and it seems to do the trick.

Answer this Question

4 More Questions

My 10 year old Shih Tzu is having troubles breathing. He is gargling and struggling, sneezing, and having nose bleeds.

What can we do? He's already on antibiotics. We've been giving him saltwater baths, rinsing his nose out.

Answers

Best Answer

I would consult the vet. Your dog may have Brachycephalic Airway Syndrome or other condition that needs surgery.

Best Answer

He needs to go back to the Vet. Or perhaps he needs to see a new Vet. This sounds serious. Antibiotics is probably not going to be adequate.

Answer this Question

My Shih Tzu has been almost snoring when she breathes. It sounds like she is congested, but there are no visual problems. I think maybe she has mucus stuck in her throat?

We are on vacation in El Paso where we came back from Ft. Campbell in KY/TN if that has anything to do with the problem.

Answers

Your dog may have allergies or a cold. If I were you, I would be concerned about a change in breathing and see a vet in the area.

Breathing issues always warrant a call to the vet. If your dog was traveling with you when this started, detail all of when/where/how things started. If you think it is getting worse or the pup is lethargic or not eating, drinking, or there are changes to potty habits, consider taking the pup in to a vet or vet hospital immediately. Prayers for all. Post back what you learn!

Answer this Question

I know a lot of you ThriftyFunFans have Shih Tzus. We have two... One of ours makes this funny noise like he can't breath from time to time. We just try to get him to calm down and it eventually goes away. Does anybody know why they do that?

I know a lot of you ThriftyFunFans have Shih tzus. We have two. One of ours makes this funny noise like he can't breath from time to time. We just try to get him to calm down and it eventually goes away. Does anybody know why they do that?

Pets Dogs AdviceDecember 18, 2018
🎃
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf58861441.tip.html