HealthDogs

Shitzu Breathing Problems

My Shih tzu is about 11 years old and for the past year and a half she has been having these little breathing attacks that scare me it is like she can't get enough air! Does anyone know what this could be? and if there is anything that I can do to either help her or stop it from happening?

By julie from West Valley, NV

Is your dog overweight? If so, that causes breathing problems and she need to go on a diet and the breathing problems will go away. If this is not the case then you need to take her to the Vet. It could be something serious. Better to have it checked out.

My 10 yr old Shih Tzu Darby has the same occasional wheezing, gasping, abnormal breathing noises. Vet said most smushed nosed dogs do this. I just baby him till it's over, about 30 seconds to a minute.

Anonymous

Thank-you for sharing. It helped with my 11 month shitzu . molly

Can you tell me what helped you with the last question regarding the breathing issue please. Thanks desperately wanting more information

Maybe read about *Collapsed Trachea*, as it happens in small breeds and actually is quite common. Your vet may have some solutions to help, as I don't think there's anything that can be done.

My little dog had what they call the collapsed trachea issue, and the vet told me that over exertion, or over excitement were triggers, and they were.

Hello,
Plese take her to your Veterinarian to rule out any medical problems.

This sounds a little like "reverse sneezing." It is fairly common. However, I would have a Vet check her out to rule out other possibilities, especially given her age.

I have a little baby has this problem its killing me it really bothers me and him hes 11 years old hes a Shih Tzu I wish I could find out whats making this happen

It's good to know that other shih tzu owners have this same breathing episode with their shih tzus. My baby girl is going on 6 and has been doing this more frequently recently.

We live in Texas and there are a lot of allergies here. I just rub her back and wait for it to go away, but it does scare me.

That's just happen to us

This is normal, it's called a reverse sneeze there bodies tighten up and they look like they can't breath . I seen something on you tube about tilt there head back and cover one nostril helps the calm.down my 9 year old does they all the time..

Can you please tell me where I can find the YouTube video to see if its the same thing we experienced the other night. My 8 month old Shorkie was sound asleep on her back and just woke up making a weird noise and gasping for air!

I woke my husband up he blew breaths in her like cpr it seemed to work after about 4 min she never losed consciousness but I was crying and praying Im afraid its going to happen again:( help

We have a Shitzu and we're pretty sure that what most of these comments are referring to is a snoring-type noise, and we're 99% sure it's caused by Heartburn. i.e. an acid bubble coming up from the dog's stomach, and popping in their nose. Squeeze the nose lightly, and get the dog to drink some water if possible, to clear the acid. Then, give a little chunk of an antacid tablet. That works. But, what we're concerned about, is different. Like having a stuffed-up nose,+difficult night-breathing, and we'd like to know if anyone has experience with a Shitzu that has had laser or other correction for that.

Anonymous

I have a 4month old and the vet told me to give him benadryl,and run hot water in tub get bath room steamship put pet in bathroom for 5minutes 2or3 times a day it work for my puppy.

I have learned that when either one of my dogs has this problem, I just pick them up and blow in their nose and they stop right away. I think I read that on this site and it seems to do the trick.

Anonymous

Yes my vet said the same thing and it does help

I just tried it

Posted from email:

My shitzu mollie is 6 years old this coming November, she snores really bad and also has acid her breath smells of sick sometimes when she hasn't been sick and I am convinced that she has an acid problem.

She sleeps on the bed and every morning at 4 o'clock without fail she starts grunting and making noises this is besides snoring most of the night, which annoys my husband as he cant sleep and has to get up for work. My dog is very clingy and doesn't like to be on her own so we always let her sleep on the bed I am wondering if she had a operation this may help her as it must be very uncomfortable for her.

angela h.

My 10 year old Shih Tzu also has breathing problems, but she is constantly sniffing around the floor. I think she gets dust in her nose as I have to clear her nose once in a while.

Anonymous

Hello my name is Margaret. I have a 5 year old shihtuz name Jazz. I believe he is alergic to the dust in my carpet because I am. He sneezes so I give him a little allergy medicine because he sniffs the carpet. He stops and goes to sleep at night when I give him the meficine.

I also believe he's a little over weight. He use to be up at night because he was sneezing so much breathing through his mouth and sneezing. I know I let him eat too much. Almost every thing I eat in addition to his food, but he's still happy and playful.

Hello, I was thinking the same thing about my 10+ year old Shih Tzu that I recently took in. I don't have any medical history on her so it's difficult to know what may be going on with her, but she has these little episodes where she starts making these squealey snorting type noises while forcibly breathing in & out thru her nose, mouth always closed during, & depending on the length (usually 30-60 seconds or longer) & severity of the episode, she is sumtimes left a little shaken up & needs a few minutes to get up & start walking again or just to move, depending on what was happening at the time. I read your comment & was wondering, how exactly do you go about clearing your Shih Tzu's nose? My Shih Tzu Gracie is also very sniffy that's what got me to wondering the same about her. She also gets these eye crustose & green goo in hereft eye, but she won't let me get it out or put the eye drops in that the vet gave me for her. She didn't make the noise while we were there of course but when I asked about it & described what she does when it's happening, they said it sounds like maybe a reverse sneeze. I've never heard that one before.

I hold one of those Vicks tubes up to my Shih Tzus' noses, I have three, and that seems to help. Or the jar of Vick's. I make sure not to get the jar close enough to get any on them. And, of course, I tell them that all pretty babies get the snorts.

What do u do to clear her nose? My shih tzu has allergies, stuffy, running, nose. She sneezes and at times seems to have brearthin problems. We'very been to the vet multiple times since January 2018. The vet prescribed two different antibotics, & a short course of Prednisolone. None of it stopped her symptoms. She has a very flat tiny nose, I've been told that she would likely have breathing problems as she aged. She'll be 9 in November. It breaks my heart to see her like this, I'm trying to adjust but it's been difficult. I hope there's an inexpensive way to fix the problem completely.

I just rescued a 4-5 year old Shih Tzu male about a week ago. Poor thing has had 3 "breathing" attacks...2 of which were today. His body was totally stiff while he gasped for air. I did try to blow air into his nose but that didn't work. I picked him up and rubbed his belly and under his chin-that didn't work either-started to place him in the car to take to vet and it stopped. Now he's resting. It's pretty scarry. He loves being outside. We're in Oklahoma and it's summertime. May be allergies but will check with the vet on this. I took him for a physical once I brought him home and the vet said he's in real good health. That was a week ago.

Anonymous

My dog has had these little episodes and I can't remember where I heard this but it shortens the episode - Besides blowing in the dog's nose, try this: take just 2 fingers ant actually cover the dog's nostrils - for some reason when they have this attack they are not aware that breathing through their mouth would ease it - covering the nostrils forces them to open their mouths and get air in. Sometimes he will start again, but I just repeat while soothing him and he opens his mouth again. It's better than watching them suffer through it for sure.

It's called reverse sneezing , my Shitzu had the same problem last week , she had a bit of a cold and started doing the snorting , also if she got too excited , it lasted about a week , I took her to the vets they gave her a steroid injection but she had got better on her own really . I read up on it and it's mainly the short nosed dogs that have this problem . If you go on U Tube you can see other dogs with the same problem . Hope your dog is better soon 

dogs sometimes get pollen grass seed stuck up their nose especially in the summer let the dog clear it don't offer fuss as dogs react to you if you give attention they may do it all the more. failing that take a phone video with you of it whrn you go to the vets hope this helps.

My 10 yr old shih tzu Sasha has these fits for years and she has severe allergies and asthma and she is and has been overweight... I thought these attacks were caused from her asthma... and some were caused by that condition...BUT I have learned from vet this is acid reflux now... Sasha licks the air gulpin sometimes, pauses while eating and looks up at me, gets burby between meals and burps up stuff in her mouth between meals and HAS THESE SCARY fits where she is choking and her tounge turns blue as she gasps for air! She is burping up what i now know is stomach acid and it is very PAINFUL and eats away at her. if she is laying down and gets up quickly this acid risies into her throat and causes these breathing fits... The acid rising up from stomach is very painful and eats away at their lil throats..and has to be managed, and stopped before permenant damage is done. I now split Sashas food into 3 smaller meals, and give her 10 mg pepcid every 12 hrs about 30mins to 1 hr before she eats to manage her acid reflux and help her thraot heal... She may be able to get off the pepcid in 4 to 6 weeks, and then just get 3 smaller meals a day... or she may need to stay on the pepcid indefinately...BUT THE PEPCID is HELPING...ALOT ..she is 20 lbs and gets 10 mgs Pepcid, 2 times aday, 12hrs apart.. 30 mins to 1 hr before meals or 1 hr after meals....

Thanks so much

My Little has this and his is A collapsing trachea. This is committed n for this breed. The doctor said not much can be done but hes not in pain.

My Shih Tzu is 13 years old and he just recently started making the breathing noise I was told by my Vet to hold his nose to make him breathe through his mouth and it definitely does help.

I know a lot of you ThriftyFunFans have Shih tzus. We have two. One of ours makes this funny noise like he can't breath from time to time. We just try to get him to calm down and it eventually goes away. Does anybody know why they do that? I've heard several theories from allergies, heart problems, etc.

Thanks.
Peggygv from San Antonio, TX

Answers:

Shitzu Breathing Problems

I have two Shih tzu also and both of mine have issues. My female snores really bad and then sometimes sounds like she is snorting; that does not concern me so much; however my male goes into an all out fit with his choking, coughing, and doing this thing that sounds like he can't get any air into his lungs.

I usually pick him up and calm him down and this helps some. Sometimes I take a medicine dropper and get water into his throat, that seems to help some; and then sometimes I feed him some Vaseline off the tip of my finger and that will sort of lubricate his throat. One thing for sure is when this happens to either one of them they want to be very close to me. I often wonder what happens when I am at work and they have one of these fits. I can only pray that does not happen.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. (06/25/2010)

By Jane

I know a lot of you ThriftyFunFans have Shitzu's. We have two. One of ours makes this funny noise like he can't breath from time to time. We just try to get him to calm down and it eventually goes away. Does anybody know why they do that? I've heard several theories from allergies, heart problems, etc.

Thanks,
Peggygv from San Antonio, TX

Answers:

Shitzu Breathing Problems

My vet said it's because they have such a short nasal passage, pug nose. Mine tends to choke sometimes so I pat his chest and it seems to help.
Also, they seem to have more allergies than most breeds, too. Mine gets a foot fungus in the summer.
They are precious though, mine will be 18 soon (04/20/2006)

By CEIL ACHS

Shitzu Breathing Problems

My Shih Tzu also has this problem. My daughter said it is a reverse sneeze and a friend called it "herfing". I know this is scary, but it seems to pass with patting her on the back. My Gwendolyn is about 12 years old and her brother, Galileo, is well over 15 now. Both are precious. (04/20/2006)

By Marilyn

Shitzu Breathing Problems

We just took our Shih tzu to the vet. He said it could be 3 things, reversed sneezing, nose mites, or allergies. We are in the process of eliminating these to figure out what is going on. I will keep you updated. (05/11/2006)

By Donna

Shitzu Breathing Problems

We too have two Shitzu's a male and a female brother and sister.
They have this extreme problem you have just described.
It's horrible listening to either of them when they really get going.
The breathing really sounds as if the trachea is collapsing and she can't catch her breath unless we calm her down.
The male does not do it quite as often, but he's just as bad when he gets going.

It only seems to happen when they are either just falling asleep or are already asleep and suddenly awake and they can't catch their breath.
I really don't have an answer, but I am looking for
one too!
The last time she had an attack was just 1/2 hr ago and I usually kind of massage her throat and talk to her and try and calm her down which usually works eventually.
This time by accident I grabbed her lower jaw and slightly opened it trying to open her airway and this had a very positive quick response, so next time I will try this again. I think from reading how many shitzu's have this problem it seems that the trachea collapses and if you open the airway it helps.
Thanks.
(02/05/2007)

By Frank

Shitzu Breathing Problems

Have you had the dogs nostrils checked? Sometimes they are not as open as wide as they should be, which is why air cannot pass through the nostril as well as when the dog is not excited. Simple surgery will correct the problem, but it is not always needed. It is like having a stuffed nose, and not being able to breath correctly. Many dogs have this problem, but often it is not a major problem. (03/30/2007)

By Bell

Shitzu Breathing Problems

We have also had breathing problems with our 11 year old Shitzu. Our vet has used the term reverse sneezing or reverse hiccups. Rubbing the throat with head up helps. It seems to be worse during allergy season (summer). His recent bout led to antibiotics and prednisone to calm his spasms. (07/29/2007)

By Cola

Shitzu Breathing Problems

My vet also said it was reverse sneezing. It was scary when my dog did it the first time. One thing I found to work is to use your fingers and plug it's nose. It makes my dog breath through her mouth and it stops it immediately and she goes on about her way as though nothing has happened. (11/09/2007)

By guest

Shitzu Breathing Problems

My mom just bought a Shitzu yesterday and took to the veterinarian today and he said that many of these dogs have nostrils that are too small. He said that as the dog gets bigger its nostrils will, but many have to have a laser surgery to correct the problem. However this will not happen until it is around six months old. The laser surgery is not suppose to be a big deal and isn't very expensive.
(02/05/2008)

By Cindy

Shitzu Breathing Problems

Our vet told us the most un-evasive method to help our dog with the reverse sneezing is to blow into their nose when they do it and after until they are back to normal.

This forces them to actually focus on their breathing.
(03/23/2008)

By Mike

Shitzu Breathing Problems

I have a 4yr old Shih Tzu. He sometimes starts making an awful snorting noise. My vet is also a Shih Tzu owner. He describes the condition as "reverse sneezing." He suggested cupping my hand over the dog's nose. This will cause him to swallow and this somehow stops the distress. It works for our dog and it works for his. I hope it works for yours! That sound scared the poop out of us the first time it happened. (11/21/2008)

By Jay

Shitzu Breathing Problems

I also have a Shih-Tzu that did the reverse sneeze. My vet said it's nothing to worry about and to just rub her neck to calm her down. She did this at least once a day when she was a puppy. She will be 2 next month and has not had an episode for almost a year. I don't know if she out grew it or because we moved and whatever was bothering her is now gone. It might be allergies. I moved from a carpeted apartment to a house with wood floors. Even my allergies have gotten better! (01/24/2009)

By Riki

RE: Shitzu Breathing Problems

Shitzu Breathing Problems

I suggest that everyone that has a dog research that breed and see the things associated with the breed. I did about a half year research on my Shih-Tzu and investigated the breeders to find one that had purebreds and mine has a 200 dog history of only Shih-Tzu. I asked many questions to find out what I was getting into beforehand knowing that was the fair thing to do for my dog.

I found that when you buy them they should be checked for something that is similar to the bulldog. Soft pallet issues. If there is a soft pallet problem it may need surgery to prevent that flap of skin from blocking the wind pipe. I would suggest that anyone with a Shih-Tzu have a reputable vet check the puppy when it is young to rule that out and not rely on postings about people's other dogs, that is not your dog.

It is a suggestion, but to make sure I would check that first. Once you know that is not the problem then ask your vet what the other possibilities are. I treat my animals as I would my kids and I would not guess or rely on my friend for anything that had to do with their breathing unless I knew for sure she/he was an expert or very, very experienced. That is my suggestion and opinion and you know what they say about them. (02/06/2009)

By another shih-tzu owner