Best Weight for a Shih Tzu Puppy

My 5 month old Shih Tzu puppy is only 2.71kg. Is this a healthy weight?

She is at the lower range of acceptable weight. www.allshihtzu.com/shih-tzu-age-weight-growth

If you have concerns, check with your vet. If you have a good vet, he/she should be able to answer the question by phone or email if you have an established relationship already.

If you haven't had the pup in yet, now is a good time to establish care and get all the vaccines taken care of.

Every pup, like very person is a little different. That is small, but she is young. Was she the runt? That could be a good size for her.

Post back with an update!!

Hi Pghgirl40,
Thanks for your reply. Yes we think she was the runt of the litter and she is extremely fussy with her food. However, she's a bundle of energy and we can't understand how.

I have spoken to the vet yesterday and they say she is tiny but as you say, all dogs are different, thanks again x

Thanks for posting back! I am so happy all is well with your fur girlie!!

I feel what you are going through. When she was a pup, my Carmel Ann was very tiny (4-7 pounds for a dachshund) for her first year and half and she was also very fussy about her food.

I think I tried 5-6 brands before she got one she would eat most of the time. I was a such a helicopter mom with her and had her to the vet, tried special treats, etc. Then the vet very wisely said they are just like human kids, everyone is different and I kinda backed off.

We had an amazing life together and she grew up to be about 15 pounds (although the vet had me get her back to the 11-13 range because of her little back and legs...for her bone structure that was a good range). Carmel lived to be 17 1/2!!

Sending blessings for you and your pup!! Hugs to all!

Hi pghgirl40.
I have to say I get more positive help from people like yourself rather than my vet. They seem to have a deal going with Royal Canine and I get a bullying tone when I say she wont touch it. Shes getting there slowly but I feel she's going to be hard work which I'm willing to put up with. I love her with no discrimination. Shes my baby and thank you for your input.
Jan04

Hi Jan. I hear you on that one! Don't let them bully you! You can honestly say you know your kid the best and thank them for their kind recommendation!

Our vet (although I love them to pieces and recommend them to any and everyone who needs the most caring vets I have ever met) have a deal with another big brand--Hills something or other.

Carmel Ann wouldn't touch it. Clarence (when he was ill) would.

I don't have human kids but I know fur kids are just like them in that they like what they like and they have their own little personalities and quirks!!! You sound like an amazing mommy to your fur baby!! Keep up the good work!! Hugs to all!! JB

Hi JB,
What a sweet comment. Yeah our Asha has her lovely little cute ways with far outweigh my frustration at her fussy eating habits. For example I've poached her some salmon this morning but up went her nose, because my other half cheese on toast looks more appealing. ( it's that quirky little cock of the head with curiosity that gets me every time )
You too sound like an amazing mummy to your doggies. Lovely speaking with you xxx

Carmel Ann did that little head cock thing too!! OMG. We talk about that all the time.

How funny!! It has been lovely chatting with you also! Hope you and Asha have a lovely summer!! Blessings to all!!

They do have such lovely little ways, that's for sure. Don't be a stranger. I feel I may need your advice in the future. Whereabouts are you situated ?

I love their little looks and such! We are in western Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh is the closest "big" city. Take care and enjoy your sweet pup!