AdviceDogs

Best Weight for a Shih Tzu

My Shih Tzu is just over 11kg. His legs are longer than a small Shih Tzu, he is solid, and heavy, his waist curves in where it should. The vet says he's fine, but I think he is overweight. Is there anyone on here who thinks I need a second opinion?

In the book a vet gives you for your dogs shots is a weight chart. I own Bichon Frise dogs and they weight between 3.8 kilo to 5.3 kilo. My male is larger and he is the one who weighs 5.3 kilos. My vet says that you should be able to feel the dog's rib cage, but you shouldn't feel it when it is just bones. It is up to you to decide on the dog's weight. If you feel he should lose a kilo or two you can reduce the food a bit in the morning and night. I normally feed the dogs twice a day and give them small portions at this time. It helps to keep their weight down and gives them more energy. Look in the vaccination book and see the chart. Look for your dog's size and this will help you determine his weight.

They should be 4 to 7 kg. Unless your dog is bigger than average, he could stand to lose weight.