Caring for Sick Stray Cats

Category Cats
Stray cats are a common site in many neighborhoods. Trying to care for a sick feral cat can be tricky. This is a guide about caring for sick stray cats.

I have been feeding a cat, that was wandering the neighborhood, for about five months. At first it was very skittish and wouldn't get near me. About three months ago he became injured in a fight. He had a bite mark on his neck and a torn ear. He became very friendly and started letting me pet him. He was doing fine, but about a week ago, I noticed his voice was getting weaker until he couldn't be vocal.

Yesterday I noticed he wouldn't sleep inside the shelter I made him even in 30 degree weather. This morning I put some food out and noticed he didn't eat it. He just wants to sleep. I don't have money to trap him and take him to a vet, would anyone have suggestions as to how I can help him? I'd hate to call animal control, but think it's my only option. Please offer suggestions.

Answers

Best Answer

It sounds like your friend has reached the end. It is unfortunate that this happens quickly to strays.

You may be able to wait until he is too cold and tired to fight you any more and wrap him in a towel or blanket. Bring him indoors to have a warm place for his last day or two.

Assuming he actually revives, you will have to find a way to get him veterinary care then. However, this is unlikely.

I live in the country and a cat had kittens in one of my out buildings. I have noticed that the mother seems to have a cold; she is sneezing. The six kittens, 4-6 weeks old, are sneezing also and all, but one, has one eye closed. The smallest one has a yellowy discharge and many flies are swarming around it. A vet is an expense I can't manage right now. What home remedy can I give to the mom and litter. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Answers

Best Answer

This is tricky.
The cat would actually have to let you get close to it and touch its kittens.

Wash the kittens' eyes with a washcloth and apply triple antibiotic ointment (NOT the cream) as many times a day as you can.
Get a supplement called L-Lysine wherever you get vitamins. Grind it up and put it in canned food to feed the mother.
Bring any surviving kittens to a no-kill shelter as soon as they are old enough to get vet care and be adopted out.
Good luck.

Best Answer

Good advice from Abigail. Remember if you cannot manage the cats, you can take them to a no kill shelter and they will care for them. If the kittens get used to humans at this young age, they can be adopted out after they are neutered. You can do a lot of good for this little family. Good luck.