Keeping Stray Cats Out of Your Yard

Category Cats
Keeping stray cats out of your yard can be challenging. There are a number of things you can try, but success may vary. This is a guide about keeping stray cats out of your yard.

There are many areas of the home and garden that you may want to keep cats out of. This guide is about homemade cat repellents.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Help! These stray cats are peeing at my front door, patio, and lawn. How can I get them to stop and go away? The neighbor across street feeds them and they seem to come on my side of street and do there business and lay on patio and steps. I have allergies. What can I do to get them to stop?

By Anne

Answers

Best Answer

Cat hate the smell of lemons. Cut some up, let them dry for a day and put them out. Citronella is good too, but they cost more. Either way, they hate it and will most likely stay away.

Best Answer

Ask the animal shelter in your area for traps. Lure the cats in with cat food and then take them to the shelter. Stray animals spread disease. Your neighbor is aggravating the problem by feeding them. Feeding is easy. Is she willing to adopt them and take them to a vet for the necessary inoculations and care? Is she willing to buy litter boxes and keep the cats in her home? Probably not.

Perhaps, you could try telling her about your allergy. If she really is kind maybe she will put the humans in the neighborhood first and stop luring cats to your property.

How do I keep cats and other animals from going through my yard leaving their mess and staying there all day and night?
Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Buy cat repellant at any pet store. Apply on tops of fences and around edge of yard.

Best Answer

Ortho makes something called Animal B Gon that works well.

I'm really scared of cats. Someone told me to sprinkle cayenne pepper around to keep them out of my yard. Is this a good idea? I just wanna keep them away with no harm.

By Vanessa

Answers

Best Answer

Cayenne is certainly not cat friendly, and I believe it hurts them. I think you might have just as good a luck with things that smell of citrus - like citronella candles (not lit, just set out - the cats can smell them), or lemon or orange peels. One can also buy cat repellant to sprinkle on lawns, etc., and I have found that that worked, although I thought the smell of that was a bit odd to me as well, as well as to the cat, and it had to be replaced after every rain.

I have my own cat, who doesn't like intruders, so I don't do any of this, but just shoo any other cats out of the yard for her when I see them. Another thing you could try when you are outside is a spray bottle. Give them a shot when they come close to you, and I assume they will give you a wide berth.

I have two dogs that recently got fleas. I have been a pet owner for 25 plus years and never had fleas. Only thing I can think of is we recently moved. There are a couple stray cats one of which had her kittens on my deck. I am sure they are the source of my flea problem. And my dogs go nuts every morning because the cats have been in the yard overnight. What can I use to deter them from coming into my yard?

By Dlp

I have one, indoor only, neutered, male cat. Lately, the weather here in Florida is starting to be cool enough at night to open some windows to save the electric bill from being so high, with 24/7 central air running. So, I have at least two different cats coming up to the window where my cat, Alex lays, and they both go back and forth loudly meowing and hollering at each other. My cat, as I said is fixed. Obviously, other cats don't probably know that.

But these cats are not afraid of me, and won't leave for nothing. I end up having to close the windows and put the air back on. This is OK for now, because it gets hot during the day still, but soon, when it's too cool to put the air on, then what? My biggest fear is what if these cats start spraying outside? That's going to most likely make my cat start spraying! The whole reason I got my cat fixed, was to help prevent spraying.

The vet said he still can do it if he so desires. And this is not a full proof solution to the spraying problem.

So far, they have not sprayed, and neither has he. I want to know, first- why are they here? (The at least 2 different cats outside I seen coming to the windows?) 2.) are they male or female cats? Maybe in heat or something? or 3) are they looking for a fight with my cat? 4) how do I get rid of them? Without having to hurt them, of course! And 5.) and most important- how do I get them to continue to not spray? (Both, the outside cats and my indoor cat.) Please help.

This is very scary at night, with just me and my daughter home and a thin screen keeping them from popping inside. Because they sure act like they will come in if they could. Thanks for any and all help, comments, etc.

By Julie L.

Answers

Anonymous

If you know who the cats belong to you might be able to ask them to keep their cats inside. If they are "strays" you could get a humane trap from your local animal shelter and trap the cats. You could then take them to the local shelter. Then they will at least have a chance to find a home. Hope this advice helps.

Is there a cheap and easy way to repel cats from using the loose soil around the house as a kitty litter box? Thanks.

By sue wilson from Sanford, FL

Answers:

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Pet shops, and possibly hardware stores, have different kinds of repellents to keep animals away from areas of your yard. I used to sprinkle hot, peppery types of spices around, but then someone on this forum told me it could hurt the animals' noses. So I guess it's smarter just to get something made for the job. (01/08/2011)

By Melanie Jackson

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

You can try tobacco dust. Animals don't like it.

Jenny (01/16/2011)

By jenny

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

I keep them out of my flower beds by using the trimmings of my rose bushes laid on the dirt. It has worked great for that smaller area, but I can't help you with the entire yard. I know ammonia is a smell they do not like. I used to use that around the garbage cans in small containers to keep the dogs, cats, and wild animals from getting into them.
Good luck! I know it is a terrible problem. (01/27/2011)

By kerr

How can I keep the neighborhood cats from pooping in my yard? I have tried (scarecrow) an electronic pet repeller, but they have figured out a way to go around it.

By Marilyn from Portland, OR

Answers:

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Put mothballs all along the edges of your yard. (12/07/2010)

By Sandy Gerber

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Forget the moth balls they don't work period. Critters just walk around or ignore them. Not much you can do as they will go where they want to. But you could try spraying some coyote urine from time to time. I have seen it in Home Depot and Tractor Supply. (12/08/2010)

By Deanj

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

I have the same problem (also in PDX). This time of year it's a little tricky because of the weather, buy I have found that a good sprinkle of cayenne pepper in and around your garden works like a charm. Grocery Outlet usually has big containers for under $3. Since cats generally clean themselves after doing their "business", they end up licking the cayenne pepper off and associate the burn with your garden. Try to apply in between the rain and reapply after any heavy downpours. It takes a little bit of time for this to work, but it has never left me down. No more poop in my raised beds! (12/09/2010)

By Katie

How can I keep cats out of my yard? They urinate all over and it smells.

By daneed from Puerto Rico

Answers:

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Cats do not like citrus, such as orange rinds or lemon rinds.
They usually do not like water either. Set up a motion sensor that squirts water. (11/11/2010)

By tikko marie

I have stray cats come into my yard. They dig up my bulbs and also poo in my yard. No matter what I do I can not get rid of them.
Please help me.

Ammie

Answers:

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

A friend of mine uses rubber snakes. She places them under her carport to keep cats off her car. So maybe a few rubber snakes can keep them out of your yard/garden. Just don't forget they are rubber when you walk out to enjoy your garden! (08/30/2010)

By Jackie

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Try cayenne pepper sprinkled around. Replace after rain or watering. You can buy a large container at Costco, inexpensively. (08/30/2010)

By vicki hood

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

I have read that putting moth balls around will keep them away. (08/30/2010)

By Gloria

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Moth balls are toxic to humans and animals. DON'T use them.

I found keeping my water hoses connected, a blast in the face was a reminder. I now have a dog and don't have issues either. Being consist will send the signal of which yards to stay away from.

For creating a noise factor, bang a foil pie pan with a cooking spoon and run after them. I work too hard to have others cats or animals destroy my yard. Mine do not leave the property (leashed) nor do the kids damage or destroy anyone else's. So I expect my neighbors with pets to contain or control theirs. No excuse accepted. (08/30/2010)

By Grandma J

I have a huge problem with neighborhood cats using my flower beds and yard as a litter box. I've tried moth balls and pine cones and nothing works. They also use our cars as a scratching pad. Please help.

By Desperate to rid cats from Mesquite, TX

Answers:

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

You could try dropping Olbas Oil on used teabags and placing them at intervals around your garden. Olbas Oil is available at Health Stores and Pharmacies. (04/27/2010)

By granny r

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Cayenne pepper. Get large container from Costco or Sam's club. Sprinkle on dry ground. Does not work as well once wet. Great for under bird feeders. Birds can eat it, even like it. Cats and dogs hate it. (04/27/2010)

By vicki hood

Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Fill clear empty 2 liter bottles half full of water. Put a little bleach in to prevent it from growing algae. Add a couple long strips of aluminum foil in each bottle then put lid back on. Put the bottles around the problem area. A few tinkling bells or some other light noise makers may help also. Cats don't like to be in places that scare them. Add some of those kids toys that go round and round when the wind blows If you can find the noisy ones they work best. Spread all these around the areas you want to keep cats out of. (04/28/2010)

By nightcry

My neighbor and I are having problems with cats stinking up our whole neighborhood. You can't even step into the front lawn or the backyard. Please help us. Thank you.

We just moved into our rental, and there is a cat that seems to love our front yard. It smells horrible when we walk outside from the urine and poop. How can I get it to stop going on the grass?

We have a couple stray cats around here that holler, moan, and cry all night long. How can I keep them out of my driveway and yard?

Every day when I wake up, my backyard is filled with fresh cat poop! It's a nightmare. My daughter is highly allergic to cats, there are flies everywhere and the yard smells unbearable.