Homemade Cat Repellents

Category Cats
There are many areas of the home and garden that you may want to keep cats out of. This guide is about homemade cat repellents.

I need a deterrent to keep cats out of my yard. They are male strays that come over and fight at night and during the days they chase my dogs.

By Ethel Martinez from Boyd, TX

Answers

Best Answer

There are hose and lawn sprinklers that come with motion detectors on them. When movement is detected, they turn on and drench the offending invader. This would work for cats, possums, and other night creatures. Just GOOGLE it and I am sure you can find a source. It was first invented for deer, but will work for all critters. If the spray doesn't hit them, the sudden noise will cause them to find other quieter places to prowl.

Best Answer

Moth balls are toxic to humans and animals. DON'T use them.

I found keeping my water hoses connected, a blast in the face was a reminder. I now have a dog and don't have issues either. Being consist will send the signal of which yards to stay away from.

For creating noise factor, bang a foil pie pan with cooking spoon, and run after them. I work too hard to have others cats or animals destroy my yard. Mine do not leave the property (leashed) nor do the kids damage or destroy anyone else's. So I expect my neighbors with pets to contain or control theirs. No excuse accepted.

Best Answer

Pet shops, and possibly hardware stores, have different kinds of repellents to keep animals away from areas of your yard. I used to sprinkle hot, peppery types of spices around, but then someone on this forum told me it could hurt the animals' noses. So I guess it's smarter just to get something made for the job.

I know there is a spray that you spray around your house where you don't want dogs to go. Is there also a spray to keep cats away? There are tons of cats around my house and you can smell cats when you leave the house.

Jamish from Tribune, KS

Answers

Best Answer

Petsmart carries a number of sprays that you can use. We have the same problem with a neighbor's cat "spraying" outside our house. We use a brand called Indoor/Outdoor Pet Control. It seems to work pretty well. We just leave the can outside in our bushes and spray the area the cat seems to "target" every day or so.

Best Answer

My friend had a big problem with cats peeing and pooing in his garden. His solution? He got a spray bottle and mixed water, Tabasco sauce, and pee. Yes, he used his own pee, not a lot. The mix was mostly water, so people could not smell it, even in hot summer. He hardly saw a cat, or cat mess in his garden after that.

Best Answer

I have read where you can spray cheap perfume/cologne (like from the Dollar Store) around where you don't want the cats & if will keep them away.

Best Answer

Cats don't like a citrus smell, and so spreading orange or lemon peels will help. What I used when I had a stray cat spraying the front of my house was lemon scented Mr. Clean. I doused the sprayed spot with this, and this seemed to discourage the stray cat.

I have used pellets to spread on the ground that I got from a hardware store, but they had an odd smell that I found disturbing. The cats didn't like it either, but I prefer the Mr. Clean idea. The pellets had to be reapplied after every rain.

NOTE: One thing not to use is moth balls. They keep the cats away all right, but they smell much worse than the cat smell. Besides, they are toxic to many other things, including people.

I need to know how to make a homemade cat repellent for house plants.

Joe from Tecumseh, NE

Answers

Best Answer

What I do is use the mesh bags that onions come in and spread them on the top of the soil in your plants. The cats don't like it because the mesh gets caught in their claws.

What household products can I use to keep cats off my property?

By Ray D

Answers

Best Answer

There is a product called Indoor No. It's a spray and can probably be found in pet stores. Also, I've read that citrus works well.

Is ammonia good for keeping stray cats from pooping in the dirt beside my front porch?

By ct

We are looking for an inexpensive homemade natural repellent to keep stray cats out of our garden.

By Linda

Answers

Best Answer

Orange and lemon peels are a natural repellent. After they are very dry, their effectiveness may be reduced. I use them indoors to keep the cat off countertops. I've read that it works in the garden too.

How can I make homemade cat repellent for flowerbeds?

By Coy Copeland from Edmond, OK

Answers

By Stev (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Try a half hardy plant called Coleus Canina, also known as Scardy Cat. It will grow in any kind of soil, has grey/green foliage, tiny blue flowers, and when crushed emits a foul odor. But cats cannot bear this plant at all. Plants need full sun or partial shade and require protection from frost during winter.

Regards,
Steve

I have several cats, all but 1 use the litter boxes. I also have a pot belly pig. My cat with the issue I feel thinks she's a pig. She goes on the floor next to my pig's litter box to poop, she uses one of the cat boxes to pee. I can't use orange or lemon peel as it's toxic to pigs. I tried putting an extra cat box next to the pig's, that was a big mistake, then all the cats decided to use it. I'm at my whits end and ready to get rid of her. Any suggestions?

By Leona V.R. from Abingdon, MD

How do you deter cats from using the edge around the house to do their business? It's keeping the grass from growing, and stinking up the place.

By A Mccourt

What will keep cats from messing in my yard? I have tried the repellents, I have tried home remedies such as, chili pepper, moth balls, and so many things I can't recall). What else can I do?

By Sylvia

Answers

Cats do not like citrus. Put Orange or lemon peels around your yard and the cats will stay.

Tips and advice about cat repellents. Post your ideas below.

Answers

Thanks for the advise,I'll try the string ower the fence and the orange and lemon peel.I use a sonic device and thought the cats wouldnt come in at all.Must be bloody deaf.

My mother has had that problem for a long time. We started to use fox urine. You can purchase it in liquid, and place it in little containers that are designed for that, and hang them from the lowest branches of trees, or near the plants. There is also a powder form of fox urine that you sprinkle around the plants, and the perimeter of your yard, however, it must be reapplied after you water or after it rains. Either way, both of these are somewhat costly methods, but all in all, they seem to be the most successful. Another thing that often works is sprinkling ground up hot peppers around the area. I am talking about the very hottest ones. The fox urine is completely non-toxic, and it works wonderfully because it scares the living daylights out of the cats. Once they get used to its presence, they won't be back. Check with garden supply places. You might also do a Google search for it.

I read this somewhere and can't remember but it says it is Jerry Baker's recipe:
2and a half parts flour, 1 part Cayenne pepper and 1 and a half parts dry mustard powder. Sprinkle around the area as needed. If it rains, it will have to be replaced.

By calycorn (Guest Post)

I have just had an encounter with one of my own kittens up a tree trying to get into a mother protected bird nest.It caught my attention that the birds were out there just squawking away, & there was that cat. Well, I just read your article, and sprinkled a can of coffee grounds around the tree, ran out of grounds & finished it off with crushed toilet bowl freshener...that should work for now.

Also, this thing about water, I onced used a water
hose to spray one of my dogs that would bark furiously at neighborhood cars pulling in after bedtime...after the 3rd spray...she never barked again...Not like that at night...It did take 3 nights.

I searched to find help on this cat situation too. I'm angry that these cats come into my yard and spray on my doors, patio furniture, or anything they want. It's discusting! I can't believe that people are allowing this in their homes (as I've read a couple times on here), I couldn't imagine the cat coming back inside my house after being kicked out for that!

What angers me is I don't own a cat,no one should have to put up with someone else's cat in their personal space. Let's just hope that the "humane" citrus option works! I'm not going to throw away all that money I spent on my yard stuff to some nasty cats.

There are about 5 stray cats on my street. The neighbor next door feeds them and then they come to my lawn to pee, poop, and throw up. What homemade remedy can I use?

By Susan

I have 2 indoor cats. Can I use their poop and pee to ward off the many outdoor cats from my yard? I would scatter their waste on the boundary of my property; I have a good supply:)

By BC

Answers

That might just attract them. Cats hate lemon. I would dry some peels and just scatter them around the yard. They are cheap, and you can use the juice for summer Lemonade. Win Win!

I would also suggest the citrus peels. Oranges or grapefruits I think work just as well; do not use toxic things like mothballs, as that is even more horrible than outdoor cats. Are these cats bothering you or your cats or both? Are they spraying their scent around? If your cats are indoors all the time, you have a few more choices. I used a lemon scented Mr. Clean splashed over the places the stray cats were spraying, and that covered the smell and seemed to deter them. If your cats don't go outside, or you keep them in your yard, you might also try a cat repellant that you can buy in places like Walmart. There are different kinds. Might work.

Check with your city ordinance. This may be on their list of don'ts. People can't leave dog poop on their yards, health hazard according to public health. And a dog kennel filled will also get you a police visit AND a humane society visit due to the poop standing.
I was with the humane society for several years and with intake, many calls about the poop. Esp if in yards where children could be walking or playing.

I am looking for an indoor cat repellent. How can I keep my cat off the chairs and keep him from scratching them?

By Evonne

I have 8 (yes 8) citrus trees in my back yard and the miserable cats lounge in the shade under them, right beside the lemons, oranges, grapefruit, and limes that are near the ground. I have even seen them climbing in the citrus trees after the humming birds, woodpeckers and other birds.

Load More