Cats Urinating on My Lawn

There are about 5 stray cats on my street. The neighbor next door feeds them and then they come to my lawn to pee, poop, and throw up. What homemade remedy can I use?

By Susan

Best Answer

These cats are probably non-neutered males who are peeing and spraying-primarily to establish their dominance. If there is an animal catch and release neuter group in your area, they will catch, neuter and release the cats. If not, you can try sprinklers, moth balls, citrus peel, coffee grounds (all supposed to deter cats). There are many sites online that recommend solutions, but neutering is the best and long term answer.

Your suggestions are great..tried them all..we had 53 feral cats in the neighborhood that a neighbor helped us trap he found homes when possible..10 were neutered and released they are still pooping in my rose bed and side of the house..I don't understand why people are not responsible. our neighbor behind us started feeding the feral cats and they multiplied...We tried cayenne pepper.orange peels, coffee grounds, lemon essential oil scent.

Plastic forks in the ground- need tougher plastic forks..Nothing will stop them. We bought a couple of solar repellent and they work in small areas. We Covered garden with felt for winter and they pooped on top of felt..Purchased hydrate powder lime..they just keep finding a new spot..( this has worked the best- looks like snow in my yard) This has been the most frustrating experience..What can be done legally against neighbor?

MOTH BALLS ARE TOXIC DO NOT USE

Best Answer

Skip the mothballs... they are toxic to cats and dogs.

Best Answer

I agree with the poster who said to skip mothballs. They are terribly poisonous to everything, including people, and the stench from them is as bad as or worse than the cat urine. I have purchased a cat repellant from Walmart that worked quite well. It also had a smell, but not obnoxious, and it had to be replaced every time it rained, but it worked.

It kept my own cats from pooping on the front lawn. You might also try citrus peels, as those are not too unsightly and won't be a horrible smell. I kept stray cats from spraying the front of my house by splashing lemon scented Mr. Clean over the urine spots. This would work on fence posts, or tree trunks.

I rented a place where they put the mothballs around to get rid of the cats. I came home and the cats were sitting in the middle of them. I was the one coughing!

I can sympathize, Susan. One of my neighbours feeds all the darn wild rabbits without considering the nuisance factor for her neighbours who garden. How do you feel about buying a dog? That should do it, don't you think? Perhaps a fence?

Good luck!
Rose Anne

maybe in your city, they have caretakers, for feral cats, etc. so my neighbor now is under that program, they feed, somewhat of a shelter, and the city will make they shots and are healthy, one thing, which hope to make part of the program is "the caretakers also provide a place to poop!! start by getting with animal control , see if there is a program.. if they are sick, etc there is help,