Caring for a Sick Stray Cat

I have been feeding a cat, that was wandering the neighborhood, for about five months. At first it was very skittish and wouldn't get near me. About three months ago he became injured in a fight. He had a bite mark on his neck and a torn ear. He became very friendly and started letting me pet him. He was doing fine, but about a week ago, I noticed his voice was getting weaker until he couldn't be vocal.

Yesterday I noticed he wouldn't sleep inside the shelter I made him even in 30 degree weather. This morning I put some food out and noticed he didn't eat it. He just wants to sleep. I don't have money to trap him and take him to a vet, would anyone have suggestions as to how I can help him? I'd hate to call animal control, but think it's my only option. Please offer suggestions.

Best Answer

It sounds like your friend has reached the end. It is unfortunate that this happens quickly to strays.
You may be able to wait until he is too cold and tired to fight you any more and wrap him in a towel or blanket. Bring him indoors to have a warm place for his last day or two.

Assuming he actually revives, you will have to find a way to get him veterinary care then. However, this is unlikely.

Your furry friend definitely has a problem and it is clear that he is not improving. You have two choices, immediately take him to a vet for a diagnosis and, hopefully, improvement, or animal control. Letting him continue to suffer is unkind and animal control most probably means death, so please try to find a way to help him now.