Helping a Stray Cat With Kittens

Category Cats
Finding out that the stray cat hanging about your house has a litter of kittens, may spur you on to deciding what to do to help mom and her babies. This is a page about helping a stray cat with kittens.

I have been feeding a stray who I thought was pregnant, but I think she had her babies. She lives in my neighbor's yard with about 16 or 20 other strays. I have yet to see any kittens, is there any way to get her to show them to me?

Answers

Best Answer

To find her kittens you will have to follow her to see where she has hidden them.
Be aware that she may move them several times.
Get in touch with a spay/neuter group in your area to attend to your neighbor's colony of cats.
Once the kittens are weaned from their mother try to get them adopted sooner than later to prevent them from becoming feral.
Reach out to your local animal welfare groups for help.
Go to the petfinder web site to find the groups nearby.

Best Answer

The Best Friends website deals with "community cats", bestfriends.org They are the largest organization in the US that does this work. They are networked across the country. They have a free booklet for the situation you are describing. They will educate you and find local support for you. It is common to trap the mother and kittens so the kittens can be socialized by 4 weeks old.

The Mom cat is evaluated and released after spaying or adopted depending on how she gets along with people. But she gets to raise her kittens in a safe place, and they all have a future. When they finish spay/neutering a colony the colony gradually goes away as the cats age. Not all animal control groups work this way, so be sure and ask up front if they spay/neuter/release the feral moms. Good luck to you, and thanks for caring.

My feral mama cat has a litter of 5 kittens that are 4 months old. She's pregnant again. Will she bring her newborns around the 4 month old kittens?

Answers

Best Answer

After this litter of kittens, you'll need to try and trap the mother and have her fixed. In the meantime, you'll need to trap all the kitten and try to fix them or find good homes for them.

This could be difficult if they are not use to being around people and they are already 4 months old.

The stray cat that I have been feeding gave birth to a liter of five kittens two weeks ago. The box that they were living in was too small and smelled awful so my neighbor and I decided to transfer the kittens into a bigger box. We used the same bedding as the old box and moved them rather quickly as the mom was eating.

Now two of the five kittens are missing and mom won't go into the new box to feed the remaining three. What do we do now?

By bobby from Philadelphia, PA

Answers

Best Answer

She is stressed and will keep on moving them. I would take the kittens that are not getting fed and bottle feed them and put them in the bathtub on some blankets or rags that keep them from getting on the cold porcelain and put a heater in the bathroom, using caution about fires, and also put a sock filled with rice knotted and microwaved about a minute or more and cover that with a rag or a hot water bottle. I like to keep it warm in there but not hot..each time you go in there, change any soiled areas, and wash bed blankets frequently. I like this because I can assure myself they are having bowel movements and are not dehydrated. I would bottle feed them all if she is going to abandon them which strays often do. Here is my favorite homemade formula, better than store bought.

Baby Kitten Formula

1/2 cup evaporated milk
enough homemade pedialyte to make it liquefy
Spoonful of Mayo, real mayo.
Three small drops infant vitamin drops from the store

I had about nine kittens to feed so I would mix t his up and feed them with an eyedropper or bottle you really have to cut the hole in the nipple pretty bi or they cant get it out if you buy a bottle from the vet.

After I would put it in a eyedropper and later little tiny bowls for them to lap it up. I would clean their faces and paws with aloe baby wipes and go over their pee pee area with a piece of toilet tissue, wet, and hold their butts over the trash can and see if they pee. The really young ones will just leave a wet mark on the tissue and the older ones will have a stream.

They will die without this. Also go over their butts and pee pee areas each time they eat. Tell them they are so good when they are peeing, it scares them. always lovingly talk to them.

Love them all through this whole thing, this is scary. Use aloe baby wipes to bathe them and it repels fleas in young kittens.

Have fun loving these babies and when they are about seven weeks or six weeks, put them on freecycle.org, choose towns nearby, and offer to deliver or meet halfway at a grocery store parking lot, and specify a good home only and don't give them to the first one who replies, go over each email and screen them by looking at what kind of environment they will be going to.

Excect for freecycle, if you put an and in the paper, charge an amount so there will be no bunchers, fighters or otherwise undesirable people collecting them. If you have the time write the local humane society or call and ask if they have vouchers for neutering or spaying and don't do the surgery before they are mature..it stunts their urethral growth.

Blessings, Racer

A female mother cat has just delivered 3 baby kittens and the mother cat is keeping the kittens in the store room of my house! I dare not touch the kittens; am afraid the mother will attack me. Please help!

Answers

Best Answer

Are you afraid the mother will attack you because it has shown aggression, or just because it is not your cat. If she has chosen to have her kittens so close to humans, my best guess is that she is not wild. You have options. You could call a rescue to come and get her. If you call the pound, she and the kittens will likely be euthanized. (I wouldn't pick that option, but I am a cat lover.) You could try to tame her by putting food and water out for her.

If she is tame enough to eat when you are sitting quietly nearby, she may let eventually come to you and let you pet her, and then you can tame the kittens as well. If you have no experience with cats at all, surely you have a friend who does, and who can come over and see if the cat is friendly or not. You can also take a photo of her and post on lost & found pets or on bulletin boards. This might be someone's cat, as mother cats often have strange ideas about where to have their kittens.

Last Nov. 24th our cat had a litter of 4 kittens. She's actually from a stray cat's litter too, along with her brother. They were brought (4th batch, but the rest left our home) here by their mother almost a year ago. Since then they've been staying in our backyard. They don't like to be petted, but I know they recognized us as their owner because they respond to our calls.

Anyway, when she gave birth that was the first time she allowed us to touch her, we actually made a bed for her and her kittens in a box. This morning she took each of her kittens and transferred them to our neighbor's backyard. But she still comes here to eat. My question will she ever bring her kittens back in our home?

Answers

Poor kitties. The mom most have sensed a predator and moved them. She may move them back, but it is hard to say. I am guessing she won't, but stranger things have happened.

Do you have any cat groups around who could rescue the kittens and get them into a shelter where they can be adopted out before the get feral?

We have tons in my area and I would recommend trying to do that type of rescue with a group that is NO KILL. They can also help you trap the mom, to spay her and since she is feral, they usually mark the ear and release after the fix.

Praying that the kittens can get a healthy start on a good life.

If you post your city, I can see if my friends who do this kind of work in my town know anyone in your town. It is so critical to do this and save lives!!

Good luck!

She probably moved because she saw, heard or smelled something that made her feel she and/or her babies were not safe. I dont think she will make your yard a home, at least not with this litter.

Thank You for responding. Well, their Mom did the same thing before. After 2 weeks or so she brings them back. And then she trained them to go out and explore outside until they didn't come back except for their Mom. And then comes my now Mama Cat and her brother ( I call them Kit & Kat) who never left our home. So, somehow I have this feeling that she will bring her kittens back until they're strong enough to protect themselves. It just that I'm worried because she might have second thoughts of bringing them back due to there is another feline family who choses to make our backyard their home too. It's her Mom's sister and her 2 kittens. This cat is a fierce one (infact my KitKat's mom left our home because of her) and there are many times I've seen her try to scare my KitKat away so they can somehow get to stay comfortably at our yard with no competition.

And to your question if we have a cat group in our city, yes we have. And I'm considering of contacting them but I'll just wait for the kittens to grow or until their Mom will let them go.

Yah that's what I thought too. Because there's another feline family who choses to take shelter in our backyard. And the mom has been bullying my Kit & Kat. But I have this mother instinct too that she will bring her kittens back.

Mother cats are very protective of their babies so I'm thinking the other cat in your backyard seems a threat to her babies and she may not come back as long as the other cat is around or until she has weened her babies and sent them on their way.

Maybe you could get someone interested in the "bad" feline that is making her home in your backyard and maybe if she were gone the mother would bring her babies back.

I know that you are worried about her but when they have been on their own for a long time they seem to be able to cope.
I hope there is a possibility of getting them spayed - both mom and kittens.
They are now spaying females at 8 weeks of age.

"For cats: It is generally considered safe for kittens as young as eight weeks old to be spayed or neutered. In animal shelters, surgery is often performed at this time so that kittens can be sterilized prior to adoption. ... It's possible to spay a female cat while she's in heat."

I do not think the mother cat will bring her kittens back to your yard. I think she has moved them out of danger, is it possible that you had a snake come into your yard, or any kind of predator, has she moved them to under a porch, or some kind of protected structure . I am sure she goes back and forth to feed them. I would not try to pet them or move them, let the mother take care of her kittens.

As much as I wanted to get rid of the "bad" Mama Cat , I can't because of her 2 kittens they're still very tiny and still needs to be fed regularly. I wanted to ask help from our cat group her in our city but I know they wouldn't be able to catch her.

Im really confused on what to do right now. Just last night when my Kat went here to eat this bad momma bullied her as if she's shooing her away from our home even her brother Kit is so afraid to stay after he ate he would also go and stay in our neighbors yard. I don't want to lose my Kit & Kat (and her kittens) , they're my babies.

There's no snake or anything exotic living in our yard. Just a "bad" Momma cat with her 2 kittens who's bullying her and her brother just so she and her kittens can stay in our yard with no competition.

But Kit & Kat are my babies so I'm worried about my grandkitties too. I don't invade her privacy not unless she allows me like the time she gave birth. I know she's just being protective of her babies that why she moved them. And somehow I felt that she will come back home with them when they can protect themselves from this bully momma cat. It's a waiting game for me, I'm waiting for the time that this bad Momma cat's kittens will grow up and be able to do their thing outside our home because I know they will not stay for good. But my Kat and my grandkitties our yard is their home so they'll be back eventually.

Is there any way you can section off a portion of your yard for your Kit & Kat to eat without being harassed by the "bad" mama? That would be the best solution but you may not be able to do this.

If someone from a cat group were to help removing the "bad" mother, they would take her kittens with them. We have a group near me that specializes in capturing the feral cats and moving them to a safe area but this is probably an exception. I am fortunate that I live in a county that works with people trying to better the lives of these unfortunate animals.

Is there anyway someone can sit in the yard during feeding time and maybe be a deterrent to the other mama cat? Or will your babies not come to eat if someone is in the yard?

I hope you can find a peaceful solution that will keep your babies in your area because if they leave both yards, they may not return.

This situation is complicated because there is more than one Mom cat. If you can get your group to take the mom cats and kittens you dont want, things will be easier. They are very good at catching foxy cats who dont want to be trapped. If the kittens are trapped when they are very young they can be socialized, neutered and adopted to good homes. The moms can be neutered and released, it does sound like they are feral. If you try to keep all these kittens in your yard it will get really difficult. Call the local group and work out a plan with them, for the cats sake.

They've kind of have portioned our yard by themselves. And when I feed them, they have separate bowls and I sit with them after they're all finish eating. Is just that this "bad" Mama cat seems to find ways to get rid of my Kit & Kat recently it got worse and last night my Kit went off and he never came back I have been waiting for him the whole day. My Kat she came here this morning I fed her but I noticed she feels so uneasy, sad perhaps I can feel that she's looking for her brother. Until she goes back to our neighbors yard. I'm really sad right now and worried. Maybe they're not coming back. All I have now is this "bad" Mama cat and her kitties.

How I wish our cat group could do something about it, but I read from their Facebook page they couldn't foster another batch of cats.

I think my waiting game is over for my Kit & Kat.

Unfortunately our cat group here in our city don't have enough resources and shelter for feral cats so it's useless to seek help fron them even if I want to.

Especially now that I think I already lost my Kit & Kat. Maybe they're not coming back anymore, coz they've been tortured by this "bad" Mama cat with her wicked antics and she successfully got rid of them. I hate this cat so much but I also pity her kitties so I couldn't get her out of our home.

Sorry your town does not have good resources! If you had the desire you could probably start a non profit and do lots of good work! Our small business development center in my town offers non profit start ups help! You seem to have such a passion for the kitties!! Think of all the lives you could save!! Hope it all works out!

Unfortunately there's only one cat group in our town, they can only assist with the food but not a home that's why they just help when it comes to looking for a foster home for stray cats. How I wish I could do something for stray cats. Actually, it's been always been my dream to create a home or a sanctuary for homeless cats & dogs. I've been dreaming of building a kennel for dogs since college because I'm a dog lover. I have four dogs at home and it always breaks my heart to see homeless dogs. My love for cats started 2016 so now my goal is to build a home for both. God willing! For now I don't have enough to fund this dream/goal of mine.

Anyways, update about my Kit & Kat , they're back but only to eat.they will stay for awhile and leave again. I'm starting to lose patience with this"bad"Mama cat, she's been terrorizing them so they would leave including her kitties they're starting to be feral just like their mom.

Dreams are worth keeping so don't give up.
Have you thought about stating your dream on GoFundMe?

www.gofundme.com/

I live in a pretty big college dorm where you can easily get lost. And this cat had the wildest idea to have her three kittens in here. The thing is, at first everyone thought it was cute so they were helping and feeding her and everything. But once the kittens grew a little bit everyone forgot about them. And of course the little ones started exploring the dorm. So as of now, one already got lost or taken, I am incapable of finding him even thought I really tried. And the other two always get into trouble. Almost every night I hear the mama screaming and searching for them, sometimes we do find them and other times it takes hours or even days. But since I'm usually the one who helps her, recently she had this habit sitting at my door whenever she loses one. Now, of course I help her, but it won't be long until I go for a holiday and I have no idea what to do. I'm afraid she would stay at my door someday instead of searching for her kittens.

I've had a pretty feral cat and her three kittens (was 4), around our house for a couple months now. I'm trying to feed them at the same time everyday and get them used to traps so I can get them fixed. A couple of nights ago they disappeared and I hadn't seen them, tonight the mama came back without her babies, is this normal or should I be worried?

This morning a neighbor's cat had kittens in my tree (a hollowed out hole in the trunk, not out on a limb.) It has rained a couple of days and the tree is wet. The two kittens lay at the bottom of a hollowed hole. Not only do I fear it is too cold and wet, I know the mother has terrible fleas as well.

The neighbor has no concern for the cat at all, their only contribution being the old bag of cat food they had before she ran off. I am faced with several problems. Do I move the kittens out of the wet tree? How do I care for the fleas? They are only a day old. It is not my cat, do I call a vet or take her to an animal shelter? I think we all know what will happen there.

I love animals, but I don't have the money to invest into spaying, shots, flea meds, etc. to a cat that isn't even mine. Oh, lets not forget the three kittens she brought with her from her previous litter. They were a few weeks old, but we were able to give them a flea bath, flea collars, and worm pills since we noticed that mother has worms as well. Please help.

Kathy from Campbellsville, KY

Answers:

Helping Stray Cat and Kittens

This is just my opinion, but I believe the best thing to do for these poor little things is take them to the animal shelter. They do not put all animals to sleep. Kittens and puppies are very adoptable. Everyone loves them. In our area, they do not put animals to sleep that are still adoptable. If you still can't do this, put an ad in the paper. Remember, everyone loves little furry kittens. They are much more adoptable than older cats.
(08/29/2008)

By Debby

Helping Stray Cat and Kittens

Is the mother coming back and forth to feed them? If not, they will not survive. You could try mother's replacement milk, but they will definitely need to be bottle fed. You may need to take them to a shelter, no kill if possible. They have volunteers that will foster the kittens. You can also look on line. Try craig's list or Google kitten foster care and put in your location. I would also speak with your neighbor about fixing her cat. If she doesn't agree to fix her, I would call your local animal control or ASPCA to notify them of the problem. She can have multiple births yearly. That's a lot of hungry kittens.
Good luck to all. (08/29/2008)

By Dyan

Helping Stray Cat and Kittens

I had a similar instance at the edge of the woods in my back yard. I set up an inexpensive pup tent with a tarp over the front to keep the rain from going in. I took a couple of old pillows and took out about half of the filling. Then I put just a little bit of cedar shavings in them (too much would have been bad for the kittens) and sewed them up. Also, some kitten food (better for nursing mom) and some water. It didn't take long before mom had moved all her babies in there and that's where she raised them.

Several times a day I went out there and just sat for a while to let them get used to having me around. Every few days I'd move a little closer. Then once the kittens were old enough to start being curious, I started playing with them a little at a time until they would allow me to handle them. Then I would spend time every day handling them and taming them. During this time the mom had gotten to know me and trust me enough to play with and handle her babies.

At about 6 weeks I was able to get all the babies and the mom into the pup tent and zip it closed. I brought them out where I could get in there better and slowly got them used to going into a dog carrier that was big enough for them all.

Once I was able to get them all into there, I packed them all up and took them to the vet for check ups and shots. The kittens were easy, and the vet knew how to handle the mom.

By doing it this way I was able to find good loving homes for all the kittens. I got the mom spayed and slowly moved the pup tent up close to the house and onto my back deck. Now she stays close and uses the tent as her home. I am able to keep her treated for fleas and keep her vaccinated because she has gotten to where I can handle her and do most anything with her now. She just refuses to come into the house and the one time I brought her in she freaked. So I let her live outside. But she never leaves my fenced yard now because she's learned she's safe here. (08/04/2009)

By Cricket

Pets CatsDecember 9, 2016
🎃