Training AdviceDogs

Controlling Barking

Does anyone have any tips on controlling barking for a Morkie breed?

Morkieboy from Laurel, MD

I have no idea what a Morkie is, one of the "designer" mixes ? But I figured it was a dog. I would direct you to Ceasar Milan's website. He is called the Dog Whisperer, he is on TLC I believe and talks about incesant (sp?) barking being a dogs mind racing and being overexcited. I am not a dog person (for the barking reason alone!) but I do know I love his show and am amazed at what he can do (he is a short little guy who has a LOT of power when it comes to dog, only by his body language and voice).

Hope that helps! Good luck! I am sure you and your neighbors will be much happier when your morkie is.

Someone else just mentioned the show, Dog Whisperer to me. I'll check it out thank you. Also, a Morky is a cross between a Maltese and a Yorkshire Terrier.

I have a Yorkie. He is going to be three years old soon. The tip I got from my breeder is to keep a spray water bottle around and when he barks at inappropriate times to squirt him (preferrably in the face) and say no. If that doesn't stop him, put in a little white vinegar in the water. it will sting him. i never had to add the vinegar, but i tell you all i have to do now is say "no" and get out the spray bottle and he instantly stops!! Good luck.

Anonymous

Not sure what a "Morkie" is but if it barks, it must be a dog!! :-)

If you have exhausted every idea you can think of teaching your dog not to bark constantly, I suggest a no-bark collar. This is a self-teaching collar and comes in all sizes. I use one on my German Shepherd who loves to bark at squirrels in my yard. I purchased the collar online from: http://www.gundogsupply.com

These collars were designed for field dogs but work for any dog that drives everyone crazy with the constant, non-stop barking.

Be sure to read the instructions carefully and follow them carefully. Your dog will have to be 'conditioned' to wearing the collar. The reason for this is that many dogs are quite intelligent and quickly learn when the collar is active and when it isn't. The instructions explain how to 'condition' your dog to the collar and it's only a matter of getting the dog accustomed to having the collar on and off.