How Can I Make a Rain Cover for a Power Wheelchair?

Recently I became the happy owner of a power wheelchair. It gives me so much more freedom than before, but I do have one problem that I'm hoping you good members of ThriftyFun can help me with.

Although I have taken it outside on nice days, I want to protect it should I go out when it's rainy. I know that covers can be purchased to protect both rider and chair, but they are way too expensive for me.

Would anyone be able to give me a pattern or ideas on how to make a cover myself? Of course a poncho or rain gear would work for me, but my goal would be covering the electronic parts of my chair. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you so much.

By S Durgeloh from WA

The person that delivered my power wheel chair said all you have to do is use a plastic bag over the controls on the arm of the chair when it is rainy or snowy. However, I guess I wouldn't want to go through deep snow or puddles with my chair. I had noticed when I ride the paratransit buses, that sometimes some of the people that have the power chairs would have a plastic bag over the controls on the arm but I just figured from observing the individuals that it was so that they wouldn't get the controls sticky, from drooling on them or because their hands weren't always real clean. hat could be part of it, but I'm more apt to think it is what the delivery person told me.

I would see how well a vinyl table cloth would work. It should work well. Cut out a basic rectangle, doubled in height, and sew it up using industry type thread. Shoot, you could even use low temp hot glue, because vinyl table cloth has a fabric type backing. The best part is you could still feel your controls underneath.

The thing is you don't want something that could get caught in the wheels.

For the controls I use a plastic bag and I have a Jumbo size Poncho that covers me and much of the chair, at least enough of it so I am not sitting in the rain that would leak onto the seat. I can also see where a large size tablecloth would do the job. Just keep anything away from the wheels.

2 places on your wheel chair have to be protected: the arm and the underside where the controls are. If you sew, then sew a shower curtain (one of the nylon type will do) to fit over the battery cover and the electric motor under you. Make sure it is short enough to stay our of the wheels. I have a scooter and my best friend has a chair and believe me you don't want under the seat wet.

I realize this might not help much but I just know you don't want to be out in the rain with it without problems. the poncho sounds like the best bet but may be too expensive. Maybe you could make one. If you are not riding it in the rain just transporting it then you might look into getting a grill cover because they fit perfectly over a chair but you can't ride on it with that.

I too was concerned should my chair be on the car carrier & we're caught in a storm - the idea of a Barbeque cover sounds great thank you.

I certainly wouldn't advise a clear cover to enable riding wheelchair in rain as it seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Another thought in riding in rain with a clear poncho type cover is both the rider's lack of good visibility & also consideration to drivers and pedestrians ... It's not just all about us wheelchair users.

Crafts SewingApril 30, 2010
Green Rain Barrel
Make Your Own Rain Barrel
Mom and 3 girls Camping in the Rain
Camping in the Rain
woman in wheelchair with afghan
Making a Wheelchair Lapghan
A young woman in an electric wheelchair.
Using an Electric Wheelchair in Snow and Ice