Using an Electric Wheelchair in Snow and Ice

Snow and icy conditions can be perilous for someone using an electric wheelchair. This is a guide about using an electric wheelchair in snow and ice.

How can spinning and or slipping on an icy ramp be prevented?

By V Ann from Jacksonville, TX

Answers

Best Answer

If it is your ramp, spread ice melt on it. That is the fast way to get rid of the ice. Keep the ice melt right by your door and sprinkle a hand full right outside the door and grab the container and as you go down the ramp sprinkle a handful in front of you as you go and then turn around and go back inside. If you have somebody that shovels your snow have them sprinkle the ice melt for you.

I want to know is there anything I can do to make my electric wheelchair ride more easily through snow snd ice?

By ma from OH

Answers

Contact the place where you purchased it. I have seen the power scooters get stuck in the snow. I do know from riding on the paratransit buses where I live, and seeing some of the riders with the power chairs and scooters, whenever there is any form of precipitation coming down, they always have a clear plastic bag to cover the joystick, so that doesn't get wet.

One of the people told me that the person that delivered it to her, told her if the joystick gets wet, it can short out. Your best bet would really be to contact the place where you bought it for advice.