CatsPets

Alternative Containers to Use as a Litterbox

Is anyone else having problems with the covered cat pans from a company called Van Ess? (they latch on the front and back)

I have a 2 yr. old spayed, indoor, female cat that was adopted about 2 months ago. She is very good at using the box, except she happens to pee over the top of the box and the pee runs down over the back on the latches.

I have tried everything to stop her from peeing over the top, but nothing has helped. The problem is that she's about 17 inches long (not including her tail) and she is too long to fit in the covered box.

What else can I use that isn't too expensive? I was going to try to use those organizing bins that you can buy at ACO hardware for boxes. They are fairly long. Do you think this is a good idea? Any other ideas would be helpful.

By Linda from Brighton, MI

I use one of the large storage containers you use to store stuff in. The sides are taller and there are a variety of sizes to choose from. I usually buy mine from a thrift store and then throw away after about a year (I don't use a liner, I wash it out after each litter change). I have three adult cats who can be messy with the litter and this stops it from flying everywhere.

I had the same litterpan and my cat also peed around it. Because I didn't know why he was all of the sudden missing, I took him to the vet to make sure it wasn't a UTI. The vet suggested that I buy a Rubbermaid tote (mine is a clear, somewhat shallow one that came with the lid). Turns out, my cat hated the closed in box because although it kept me from smelling the litter as much, it tended to keep the smell in the box, which my cat hated. Also, he tends to kick around and is very particular about where he goes, so the tote allows him to kick freely. :) I also don't use liners (because my cat tears them up and they don't work anyhow) so I just clean it like the user above. An added bonus, was when I was moving, I just put the lid on top and it prevented them from using it while I was moving it. Good luck!

I bought a cement mixing pan at Harbor Freight for my large cat. It is a very large plastic container with sides deep enough not to make a mess. It was about 6-7 dollars. Works well for us.

Anonymous

I use a clear large Rubbermaid tote too. Also, I use clumping litter and scoop every day and doing that greatly reduces odor. Warning about clumping litter: Do not flush it! I use my used produce bags (inspect them for holes first - LOL) and just tie them off and place in the trash can under my kitchen sink.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It there a web site I can look on for a large plastic storage container? I am now trying an organizer bin with the flip top and it's working pretty well except it is too high and I don't really want to cut any holes in it so I can still store stuff in it. I just want to buy a cheap plastic container that I can cut an opening in it for her to use. Thank you.

Linda in Michigan

Anonymous

Hi again Linda. Personally I wouldn't waste money on shipping costs a website would charge. You can go to your local Wal-Mart, Target, or similar store and find the large but lower sided ones. The one I found (at Target) is 5 inches high and even my short legged Rachel doesn't have any trouble getting in and out of it. :-)