Substitute Fruit Juice for Oil in Baking

For any baking recipe that calls for oil, use any fruit juice instead. The same amount that the oil should be. This is less fattening, healthier and makes for moister cakes, brownies, etc. It does not alter the taste. I usually just open a can of peaches, use the juice then serve the peaches with dinner. Enjoy!

By Betty aka Grandma Buttercup from Albion, IN

Or even Apple Sauce... (or ANY fruit sauce... like pear, peach or plum).. I especially like to use Plumb baby food... This works wonderfully, but it's cheaper to buy a can of fruit, (NON sugared is best!) & blend it up in the blender... for Super moist cookies, muffins & quickbreads... Without those nasty oily calories!

Hi Betty,

This sounds like such a good idea!

I have used unsweetened applesause before in boxed mixes, but the cakes/brownies come out with a fluffy texture, moist but not like using regular oil - I know it can't be like using oil, but I'd love to find something close.

Can I also use regular fruit juice that's used for drinking? Like apple juice. Do you think it would work with unsweetened applie juice?

Thanks for your help!

I just used fresh pressed Apple cider in boxed brownie mix. The texture is more "cake like" than chewy, but tasty.

I use pureed fruits or pumpkin, depending on the recipe. For banana bread, I omit the oil and add an extra banana instead. For pumpkin bread, use extra pumpkin.

You can also substitute apple sauce or pureed prunes, too.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingDecember 23, 2007
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
strawberry spritzer
Fruit Juice Spritzer Recipes
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor